Do better surbahars have better balance?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Do better surbahars have better balance?

Post by StVitus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 am

Now that I’ve spent some time playing the surbahar I’m realizing how heavy and off-balance the headstock is. It’s not easy on my right arm! Do better instruments have a better balance than cheap ones?

mizrable

Re: Do better surbahars have better balance?

Post by mizrable » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Mine has a foot that rests the instrument at a 45degree when touching the floor
sometimes i play it at a lower angle and balance it on the foot with the tabli and inch or 2 off the ground

here are some pics
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0202

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:27 am

Wow—your surbahar is outstandingly good looking.

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 am

whether the foot is in the right spot for how you sit with it isn't about the quality. you shouldn't have to hold the instrument down with your right arm while you play. figure out what angle the surb needs to be in order to balance (so that if you take your right arm off it doesn't want to fall), then fabricate something to make that the instrument's 'default'. it probably won't be as pretty as you'd like, but ergonomics are more important than looks - especially after you've been sitting with your instrument for an hour or two.

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 am

hey music slug
i dont see how one can play with the right forearm not on top of the gourd. my tabli is 22 inches wide to high to balance on the knee and this thing is all teak and the neck is giant lever arm ...Also thumb pressure is important to keep it balanced..

st vitus have you tried sitting on some folded blankets to raise your center of gravity?
it might help with your arm situation
Last edited by mizrable on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:24 am

hi mizrable - my right arm rests on top of the gourd, but the weight of the neck and upper tumba that 'wants' to fall is supported by my right thigh (I sit cross-legged), not by pushing down with my right arm. the surbahar won't fall if I take my right arm off because the cradle I made for the foot makes it balance right. I have a KL too, so I can understand that you don't want to alter the beautifully carved 'foot', but if it's in the wrong place for you (and they pretty much always are), you'll have to find a solution so the ergonomics of playing are right - your right arm has better things to do than pushing down on that tumba continually.

fwiw: the cradle I made doesn't harm the foot (even if it's seriously ugly...)