Low sa on surbahar rattles at bridge.

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Low sa on surbahar rattles at bridge.

Postby StVitus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 am

The low sa on my surbahar is rattling at the bridge and not sustaining. It doesn’t rattle when played open, just when fretted. But it is not hitting the frets. All of the other strings are fine.

The only thing that stands out to me is that the slot on the bridge for this string is too small and the string doesn’t fit in snugly like the others do in their slots. Do I need to widen the slot? If so, what tool should I use? I can’t do much there with a file because there just isn’t room to move the file. .

StVitus

Re: Low sa on surbahar rattles at bridge.

Postby StVitus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:16 am

I posted audio of the problem to soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/james-puckett-878541086/surbahar

The sound is me hitting each of the strings open and with a note fretted. When I get to low sa it starts clanking like crazy. I’m using a .040 for that note.

CheesecakeTomek

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:32 am

Do you mean to say that the kharaj string doesn't sink all the way into the slot on the bridge? I would imagine that would prevent it from taking a proper shape along the jawari, creating some extra space between the string and bridge surface, which would almost certainly cause unwanted rattling.

I won't suggest any particular remedies, as it's beyond my expertise to do so, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along.

I do think it's probably hard to say for sure without seeing the jawari - you got this instrument second-hand, right? That kharaj is a hassle to get properly dialed in in general, so tough to say. The string should fit snuggly, though...

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 am

Lars kindly helped me out via email. Most of the problem was just that I needed to make the string slot much wider than it was to get it to settle into the long slot. That slot would barely have fit the Pa string, so I’m not sure what the previous owner was doing with it. Overall the build is pretty sloppy but the pegs appear to have been well-fitted, and it has an antler bridge, so maybe someone customized it for something special.

Anyway, it just has to last me until I scrounge up a few thousand dollars for something special.

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”