Chikari strings

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

themodestokid

Chikari strings

Post by themodestokid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:40 am

Is it appropriate to strum the chikari strings pulling the mizrab towards your palm, or only strumming down?

CheesecakeTomek

Re: Chikari strings

Post by CheesecakeTomek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 am

I think I've noticed some da diri diri diri, where the diri's are chikari strokes, in jhallas of Ravi Shankar and Krishna Bhatt... I'm sure others do it as well.

Every now and then I see someone do more of a casual da ra da ra in later stages of jor, maybe while thinking between phrases.

I don't think anyone would simply give a ra stroke on the chikari's otherwise, though.

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:01 am

I definitely hear some of the great players reach up and strum the chikaris with diris now and then. It’s on the list of things I’ll ask my teacher about.

themodestokid

Post by themodestokid » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Does diri mean an up stroke followed immediately by a down stroke?

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am

themodestokid wrote:Does diri mean an up stroke followed immediately by a down stroke?
Exactly. Diri is a very fast up/down bol. I know some use it on chikaris but I never did. To me it sounds a bit weird.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

Lars

Post by Lars » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 am

CheesecakeTomek wrote:I think I've noticed some da diri diri diri, where the diri's are chikari strokes, in jhallas of Ravi Shankar and Krishna Bhatt... I'm sure others do it as well.

Every now and then I see someone do more of a casual da ra da ra in later stages of jor, maybe while thinking between phrases.

I don't think anyone would simply give a ra stroke on the chikari's otherwise, though.
Maybe another reason Ravi dropped the PA chikari string? I've seen Indrajit use the fast diri technique a lot on chikaris but he can do the same speed the regular way as well.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com