I Could use Some Help With My First Sitar

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

cwroyds

Re: I Could use Some Help With My First Sitar

Post by cwroyds » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:25 pm

The great players who used an upper gourd (Raviji, Nikhil Banerjee, etc.) usually had a rather large natural gourd.
A natural gourd is lighter than a wood one, but still has mass, especially in the mount.
The resonance with a natural gourd is more profound for sure.
I have played sitars with wooden ones that were useless.
I like to play my sitars without a second gourd attached, but when I do put one on, I totally love it.
More lush, more bass response, more even sound, and it seems like you are surrounded by tone.
All in all a fun thing, if you like having one on.

Adding mass to a headstock is an old trick that does work.
I sometimes clip a heavy capo on the headstock of an acoustic guitar and it seems to add sustain.
They used to sell heavy plates that you could screw on the back of an electric guitar neck for this effect.
I would think the same thing would apply to a sitar and the extra mass added to the neck.

LD67

Post by LD67 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 am

You guys are GREAT! Thank you for providing so much info! In the end, finances being what they are, I returned that sitar for the same model, but at least in a color I preferred. Believe me, I'm not new to bad/low quality instruments. Like I said, I'm mostly doing it now to get a feel for it. Bad sound quality will not turn me off as I know how that goes. There's a lot to be said for determination. In any case, the bad sitar is in transit back to the dealer and hopefully the new sitar will be on its way. Expect to see more questions from me when it arrives. In the meantime, here's a link to the one I'm now expecting.

http://www.handcraftedworldinstruments. ... trse-m.htm

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Sorry to be a downer on this but that sitar is what we call a Lucknow sitar & is the lowest quality one can buy...
Banjira are rip-offs & way, way overcharge on everything they sell !!!!
Pity you didn't know about me before you went for this..

Nick - In Varanasi, India, at the moment...

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi LD67
since you are telling us you are newcomer to sitar with limited financial and time resources its probably in your best interest to save your ammo to get a teacher and a decent instrument. In the meantime why dont you hone your skills at guitar, piano, mandolin, banjo, and upright bass. you will have less time for these wonderful pursuits when you get a mid range instrument.
and if your heart is set on the banjira brand a least check out their flatback travel brand they are a step up from their full gourd sitars..