Traditional Rudra Veena Improvements?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

westsea

Traditional Rudra Veena Improvements?

Post by westsea » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:35 pm

I was asked an interesting question.

"what modifications would you make to a non-dagar type (upright) veena for eaiser playing?"

I couldn't think of any!

But, I know we have experts on this forum, who may have ideas.
Tony, Nick, Daniel, Chris, Alan, Michael, Carsten, Ray, Suvir, Ted, Maqsood, and those I'm forgetting... any ideas?

Or, after centuries of development, have all the 'bugs' been worked out?

povster
Site Admin

Re: Traditional Rudra Veena Improvements?

Post by povster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:45 pm

I've thought for many years about a movable lower tumba (the one under the bridge) allowing one to slide it back and forth. This could help lock in the ideal distance and also could be used to compensate for gaining/losing weight and the attendant girth changes one can undergo. :oops:
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

westsea

Post by westsea » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:08 pm

That's a great idea! Of course, it would have to be constructed so that it didn't negatively affect the sound in any way.
I wonder if there would be any difference in acoustics between the closest together and the farthest apart?
Maybe there would be a 'sweet spot' in there somewhere?
Thanks, I knew I was asking the right people!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 am

I added a second gola to the lower tumba area but I honestly can hear no difference between the two positions. My stomach can feel the difference, though!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Scott Hackelman once suggested changing the tumba mounts, completely eliminating the threaded brass tube going through the daand into the tumba, changing the mounting mechanism to a large wooden screw - with no hole at all: you screw the tumbas into the daand. he says that the sound is actually transferred to the tumbas via surface vibration, so more contact is better (and the oversize wooden screw accomplishes this). he told me he did this with Ry Cooder's Kanailal and the improvement was significant. I was tempted, but I'm happy with mine as is...

didn't Scott suggest this to you?

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:42 pm

another one is to add weight to the tumbas. if you feel inside the lip of the tumbas, there may or may not be built-up material there (my KL has it, my Miraj doesn't) . adding that weight gives the sound more (dare I say it?) weight.

(the same thing can be done with a bass tabla/baya: tabla shops in India will pour molten lead (they call it 'glass') into the bottom. I did it with a cheap one and it totally worked.)

westsea

Post by westsea » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

musicslug,
changing the mounting mechanism to a large wooden screw - with no hole at all: you screw the tumbas into the daand. he says that the sound is actually transferred to the tumbas via surface vibration, so more contact is better
Now it's getting good. I do recall Scott discussing this. I have no expertise, but I always thought that drilling holes in the daand
must have some negative affect on the acoustics.

If the sound is transferred via surface area vibration, then no hole makes the most sense.
he told me he did this with Ry Cooder's Kanailal and the improvement was significant
If that was a significant improvement, with holes already drilled in the daand, I wonder if it would be even more significant with no holes ever drilled?

Now we're exploring not only making it easier to play, but improving the sound too!

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

musicslug wrote:…changing the mounting mechanism to a large wooden screw - with no hole at all: you screw the tumbas into the daand.
Maybe that could be taken a step further. Instead screwing into the daand, bolt the tumbas onto the daand the same way necks and bodies of guitars bolt together. This would make the connection very tight and probably produce a much more resonant instrument than a single screw-in fitting. Steel nuts would have to be embedded in the daand to accomodate regular unscrewing, which is something guitar players do if they travel with the neck and body separated to prevent a neck break. Of course this would be hard to do with a bamboo daand. But if the daand were cut from maple or mahogany using a CNC router it would probably work.