Touching up jawari.

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Touching up jawari.

Post by StVitus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 pm

The high chikari string on my surbahar has a tiny groove under it that keeps it from sustaining. My other strings are fine and I’m happy with the overall shape of the bridge. Can I just smooth out this one spot with fine sandpaper and a gentle touch? And how fine should the sandpaper be—600? 1600? 6000?

kalyan

Re: Touching up jawari.

Post by kalyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:37 pm

you will probably need to go with a lower grit to actually get the grove out maybe 320 try to take the same amount of material off for the entire length (along the path of the string) of that portion of the bridge to retain the original shape. However a small grove will usually not choke the string more often it is actually the slot in the chikari post that is the source of the problem. You can check this by using your finger or thumb nail to pinch the string down right where it leaves the post going back towards the bridge and plucking it. If that clears it up at all try to get the slot clean( free of rust, oil build up or bone fragments) so the vibrating string portion has hard contact with the leading edge. The slot should be slanted down away from the bridge side at about half the angle the string takes to the peg. Also of the post is wobbly, twisted at a bad angle or there is not enough down pressure going to the peg (sometimes tucking it under a fret will fix this) that can cause a dead sound.
Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks, Kalayn! You’re right, it’s the post. What’s a good tool for cutting that tiny slot? Would a .012 or .009 guitar nut file work?

kalyan

Post by kalyan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 am

A .012 nut file is perfect for a surbahar. Just make sure to hold the post as you file it so it does not break off where it goes into the neck.
Kalyan
Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic