Shortening pegs.

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Shortening pegs.

Post by StVitus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 am

The big pegs on my surbahar stick out too far. Each one sticks out has 40 to 45 centimeters between the body and the peg head. This makes them rub against the sides of the case, which means they’re eventually going to break off if I need to transport the instrument in the case.

What’s a good way to shorten them? Can I wrap them in sandpaper, turn carefully, and then trim the narrow ends with an exacto saw? Would I need to buy a peg shaver? Does it make more sense to ream out the holes a bit with a cello reamer?

coyootie

Re: Shortening pegs.

Post by coyootie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm

find a luthier. if you are not very good with woodworking and haven't worked on peg fitting, it's easy to make it worse.... that said, shortening the pegs is a good idea. If pegs are well fitted,they work fine.The problem is that 90% of the Indian made sitars I have ever encountered have poorly fitted pegs.

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 am

if the pegs are well fitted and just protruding out too far i would go the route of the exacto saw. it wont change the fit

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 am

It’s the heads that point out too far. I was asking if I could narrow them to make them fit in deeper and then cut off the tips.

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm

I see
im not sure what kind of case you have
but it may be possible to make a wedge out of foam that allows the instrument to rest in the case wat 20-30 degree angle which may help spare your pegs in transport.
to make such a wedge I recommend an electric turkey carving knife.

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Your peg hole reamer / shaft taperer idea is the best, as long as you go reeeeeely easy with them. You'll end up with matched and rounded peg holes and shafts. Bonus - the pegs will turn smoother and hold better. Doing this operation by hand can be done but after trying to fix six packs of coke bottle peg shafts that look like they were whittled with a butter knife or piece of broken glass by unskilled hands, you may be better off taking the instrument to a luthier or somebody familiar with the necessary tools and a proven track record of quality work. The sandpaper shaft wrap trick to open the holes will work fairly well but you will most likely still need to do some hand sanding on the shafts as well. " Be vewwwwy caiwful " !

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Wed May 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I took the surbahar to a high-end luthier. He must have thought I was joking when I told him the pegs are cut with hand tools by apprentices at workshops in the jungle. When I pulled a peg out he looked at it and said “This is hell.” He’s the second luthier who’s refused to even try, and he told me to fit the pegs myself with a wood file.

Lars

Post by Lars » Fri May 12, 2017 6:39 am

StVitus wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:42 pm
I took the surbahar to a high-end luthier. He must have thought I was joking when I told him the pegs are cut with hand tools by apprentices at workshops in the jungle. When I pulled a peg out he looked at it and said “This is hell.” He’s the second luthier who’s refused to even try, and he told me to fit the pegs myself with a wood file.
Convenient excuse, find another one who knows what they're doing actually. Lightly ream the hole, then shave the peg to fit and trim the ends, it's not rocket science :shock: and you're paying them too!

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I’m doing a little filing myself to remove ridges the luthier pointed out that could break the peg box. I’m moving to New York City in a few weeks, and I know there are shops there that are happy to work on Indian instruments. So I’ll probably move the instrument with the pegs out of their holes and have the work done there. I might even rent a car and take it to Keshav Music (unfortunately they moved out of the city!).

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 pm

I’ve done two pegs so far, and they’re doing as well as before and I haven’t even applied peg dope, rosin, or chalk yet. Just removing the ridges, not trying to shorten the pegs, although doing that has reduced the length by a few millimeters.

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 am

Just seen this VERY interesting & useful thread here.
Personally I would open the holes in the neck a little & push the pegs further through. THEN trim them after marking them with a pencil.

What you DON'T want are thinner pegs as you need all the strength you can get re pressure on pegs on these instruments.

Nick

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm

The problem with opening the holes is that I don’t have the tools. The taper of the holes isn’t the same as the reamers used on cellos. It’s probably a metric tool that I can’t even buy in the USA.

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am

Here in the UK we have very easy access to round files, perfect for this job.

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Thu May 18, 2017 5:52 pm

trippymonkey wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am
Here in the UK we have very easy access to round files, perfect for this job.
At this point I wouldn’t file the holes. I’d have someone lathe a new set with the taper of a cello reamer and match the holes to that.