Options for muting sympathetic strings?

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

CheesecakeTomek

Options for muting sympathetic strings?

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Every now and then there is a time where I wish I could just turn them off for a bit. Has anyone come up with a simple method/contraption for doing this? Some sort of mute, perhaps? Bonus points if it is not visually distracting.

CheesecakeTomek

Re: Options for muting sympathetic strings?

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Just put a bit more thought into it and answered my own question:

Looks like a piece of cloth, folded up to the proper thickness, does the job perfectly - just slide it underneath and it's good to go. Not quite as minimal as I would like, so would still love to hear other thoughts. However, at least you can choose your design :)

Works like a charm, though! It's actually quite nice working with just the top strings and their own resonance, without too much else going on.

nicneufeld

Postby nicneufeld » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 pm

The lazy man's taraf tuner! :mrgreen:

Actually that would be quite a nice idea if you were playing in a western context, or doing a far ranging raga-mala where you can't just stop and retune your taraf. But it sounds like you've hit a winner...strip of felt perhaps?

Another option if you want to buy something...may not completely mute but I bet would mute sympathetic resonance. Could be trimmed to fit nicely I'd think (although tabli curvature might be a problem)
https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/n ... ctice-tool

CheesecakeTomek

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Very cool!

Seems like it may be too tall for the symps, but definitely worth looking into.

Felt will probably be my next step, as that can likely be made to be highly inconspicuous.

Thanks for the thoughts!

mizrable

Postby mizrable » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 am

maybe try a bungee cord?

barend

Postby barend » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Just take an old sweaty sock and put it under your tarafs! :D

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:24 pm

A piece of masking tape pressed onto the taraf strings just forward of the bridge will "kill 'em daiyud".

katyrow

Postby katyrow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:40 pm

mizrable wrote:maybe try a bungee cord?

Super Glue and a dead caterpillar. They stay put because of all the legs. I've also tried small wedging a small waffle or buttermilk pancake under the strings, which seems to work best for morning rags for some reason.

nicneufeld

Postby nicneufeld » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 pm

katyrow wrote:Super Glue and a dead caterpillar. They stay put because of all the legs. I've also tried small wedging a small waffle or buttermilk pancake under the strings, which seems to work best for morning rags for some reason.

If you want to emphasize and accentuate the later morning, midday raags, try a slab of Quiche Florentine sliced to fit. Although too much oil or cream in it I have found disrupts the balance between vadi and samavadi.

CheesecakeTomek

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 pm

katyrow wrote:Super Glue and a dead caterpillar. They stay put because of all the legs. I've also tried small wedging a small waffle or buttermilk pancake under the strings, which seems to work best for morning rags for some reason.

Now we're... cookin...

Tony!!! The tape works like a charm! Maximum points, thank you good sir!

Of course, the ultimate answer is to "just get that rudra veena you've always wanted!!".
Not yet... not yet...

On a serious note - to address the "lazy man's taraf tuner" comment - which is definitely a perk in this situation, BUT - a few days into practicing this way and the true intention of this is showing to despot on. With the zingy-ness out of the equation, I can really dig into some more nuanced meend and shruti practice that just was not making it to my ears with the chorus-a-singin'. Looking forward to making this the norm for a while and seeing what comes of it.

Thanks all for the input!

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”