Sandpaper grit and glue

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Sandpaper grit and glue

Postby StVitus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:20 am

What’s the right sandpaper grit to use under my beads so they don’t slip? I tried 1500 and that didn’t seem fine enough. Also, should I glue it down to keep it from slipping when I move the beads? If so, what glue should I use so that it’s easy to remove the sandpaper later?

Lars

Re: Sandpaper grit and glue

Postby Lars » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:29 am

I use 320, cut out a piece as seen in many of the pics on my website. Loosen the 1st taraf string and slide it under to anchor, then you don't need glue which isn't a great idea since the sandpaper has to be periodically replaced when it wears out.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

barend

Postby barend » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:53 am

Never liked the look of that piece of sandpaper. Doesn't it wear out the tuning swan eventually?

Sillofthedoor

Postby Sillofthedoor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm

sitar fixer must have missed this post.

he came up with gluing a small piece of thin leather onto the bead/swan instead, it gives the desired grip without disfiguring the look of the sitar and works better overall if anything.

I am due to set mine up this way when ~i get the time...

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:21 am

Funny, I picked up a bit of leather trim at Michael's over the weekend just for that purpose. It was less than $10 for a bottle of tacky glue and enough leather to last a lifetime.

Lars

Postby Lars » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 am

barend wrote:Never liked the look of that piece of sandpaper. Doesn't it wear out the tuning swan eventually?

No it doesn't wear out the swan or the polish underneath if you use it a certain way.....like it or not, it's what people have used. Alternatives look better but don't hold under 5 note meend pressure otherwise everyone would use the leather under the bead.
http://www.raincitymusic.com

StVitus

Postby StVitus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Lars wrote:
barend wrote:Never liked the look of that piece of sandpaper. Doesn't it wear out the tuning swan eventually?

No it doesn't wear out the swan or the polish underneath if you use it a certain way.....like it or not, it's what people have used. Alternatives look better but don't hold under 5 note meend pressure otherwise everyone would use the leather under the bead.

I do five step meends all the time without the swan moving on my sitar that Kalyan set up. But I’m playing with Sa as D, so the string tension is pretty tight. I doubt it would work as well in C#.

On my surbahar I have to use leather. None of the strings actually touch the tabli, so there’s nothing to keep sandpaper from moving or tearing unless I tack it down.

Sitarfixer

Postby Sitarfixer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:28 am

Over the years, I'm finding that the leather duckies will rock forward with meend work. If the duckies chest is filed parallel to the tabli surface where duckie sits, odds are improved that duckie will stay put. Since the tabli is curved to a degree along the duck trail, the 100% footprint of duckie to tabli is almost impossible to get right. Even a concave duckie chest with thin leather or mole skin to match the tabli curvature is close but - - - . I've refitted a few duckies with a bare chest on sand paper on customer request. They be happy. I be happy. Duckie is also happy as with the sand paper in place, duckie no move. The sand paper definitely works. All I can suggest here is to use the lowest profile least offensive paper. #320 grit beige color comes to mind. Use Elmers or similar glue ever so lightly on the paper. Wipe off the excess with a wet paper towel. My first choice is still going the leather route. I can take half a day if need be to get it all to optimum spec. Don't know any body else as obsessed like that.

Return to “SITAR & SURBAHAR”