Chicari post replacement/repair

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Pembo

Chicari post replacement/repair

Post by Pembo » Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm

One of the chicari posts on my sitar has broken off, leaving a very small stump behind. I would like to replace or repair it. I can find chicari posts online quite easily, but I can't work out how I would remove the stump from the old post or fix the new post in. The old post appears as if it is a permanent feature of the sitar, presumably glued in? I tried to see if it is simply a push fit and so would pull out with a pair of pliers, but all that happened is that the stump broke off even closer to the sitar body. I've not wanted to get too physical with it, without knowing what I'm doing in case I cause further damage to the sitar. Can you advise me please?

StVitus

Re: Chicari post replacement/repair

Post by StVitus » Mon May 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Drill it out. You can buy a tiny drill called a pin vise, and matching drill bits, at a hobby store. Use that to drill out progressively larger holes in the center of the broken post. Once you’ve use the largest pin bits you can fit some small electric drill bits in a pin vise. Now try using a small round file (again from a hobby store) to rock the post out of the hole. This won’t work if it’s glued in. At that point you can finish the job very carefully with small bits in a dremel tool or a manual drill. You probably don’t need to remove the entire diameter of the old post, just get close, and then sand down the end of the new post to fit. And if you glue the new post in, only use a tiny drop of white glue so that it’s easy to remove it later.

I wouldn’t use an electric drill for this as they just spin too fast and you might lose control.
Last edited by StVitus on Mon May 01, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pembo

Re: Chicari post replacement/repair

Post by Pembo » Mon May 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Ah, many thanks. I had wondered if drilling it out was the only option, thanks for confirming that.