Suzuki fine tuners

This is for discussions on the Indian sitar and surbahar, This includes films, books, and recordings

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Suzuki fine tuners

Post by StVitus » Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 am

I ordered a pack of Suzuki fine tuners to try out on my instruments. I’ve tried installing them as seen on this old photo from earlier posts: http://www.hacklemanshop.com/uploads/1/ ... ig.jpg?302

I find that the screw is hard to turn that the tuners are useless. The tuners I bought are Andre Breton branded Chinese tuners. Do Wittner tuners work better? Or is this another one of those internet ideas that doesn’t actually work?

barend

Re: Suzuki fine tuners

Post by barend » Thu May 18, 2017 8:26 am

I had these same sort of violin fine tuners (probably another brand) on my sitar chikari strings near the tuning pegs some years ago but never really liked them. So I took them off. I don't really need them.

rex@sitar.co.za

Post by rex@sitar.co.za » Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 pm

StVitus wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 am
Do Wittner tuners work better? Or is this another one of those internet ideas that doesn’t actually work?
I use Wittner tuners on my Hiren Roy and absolutely swear by them.
In my opinion Wittner's should comes standard on all sitar - the improvement the make to tunability and tuning stability is immeasurable.
I wish someone had told me about this when I first started learning sitar 30 years ago!

I haven't used Andre Breton tuners, but my guess is they're junk?

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Do you know if the Wittner tuners are made in Germany? Before I spend more money on these I want to be sure that Wittner isn’t selling rebranded Chinese tuners like everyone else.

barend

Post by barend » Sat May 20, 2017 11:50 pm

rex@sitar.co.za wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 pm
I use Wittner tuners on my Hiren Roy and absolutely swear by them.
In my opinion Wittner's should comes standard on all sitar - the improvement the make to tunability and tuning stability is immeasurable.
I wish someone had told me about this when I first started learning sitar 30 years ago!
Any pictures or videos of these tuners on sitar? Never heard of those.