Slipping Grip

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Pin

Slipping Grip

Post by Pin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Not sure if this has been covered here before. Tried a couple of searches but couldn't find anything...

I'm about 6 months in on sitar lessons. After playing for a bit, the sitar often starts sagging down out of the proper playing position. I've got it wedged in between my arm and foot as tight as feels comfortable, but it just does. And, if I try to push it back up to the correct angle while playing, I end up pushing to hard on the note I'm trying to play and interrupting faster sections.

Now that it's starting to get hot around here, this problem is getting worse as my feet are starting to sweat. Putting a cloth on my foot just makes the tumba slip even more. I tried a part of a rug underlayment - those rubber pads. That holds the tumba but doesn't grip my foot while it's sweaty. Thinking talc would dry things up, but would make getting a grip even harder.

Any tips? I'm almost wondering if there's some tacky substance I can put on my foot to help, but I don't want to mess up the finish of the wood.

trippymonkey

Re: Slipping Grip

Post by trippymonkey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Do you also rest the neck, near the neck & tabli bit, on your lifted right knee or do you lie the right leg flat down?

Nick

barend

Post by barend » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm

You can use this kind of anti slip underlay and put it on your left foot :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rugs-Stuff-Pre ... B00AKH321M

Pin

Post by Pin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. In answer to the first question I'm not supporting the neck with my knee nor my hand really. I'm trying to keep it at an angle using just the pressure between my forearm and my foot.

yussef ali k

Post by yussef ali k » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi all, hope life's good.

Pin,

1 of my sitars has that, the others do not.
It's the one w/ the smallest gourd so I stuff foam between it & Lfoot - invisibly there.

It works though I'd like a bigger gourd (which the others have).

Hope it'll get right for you - care to update the forum.

Have fun,

Y.

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 pm

If you arent supporting the dandi with the knee you may need to apply more right thumb pressure...the downside of this is that your foot will fall asleep faster

you can also try to cut a gaunlet of a dish glove into a square and place on your foot

cabinet shelf liner is another alternative and more breathable

The more you sit with your sitar the faster you will get through this phase where you are still struggling to balance it!
good luck!

seepersaudc

Post by seepersaudc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Cabinet shelf liner. And do a stretch to open your hips. By sitting with your soles of your feet touching and bend forward...(no sitar ofcourse) this will stretch the hips and make you more flexible.

Use cabinet shelf liner to hold the tumba in place, but practice without the line too. U need to press down and hold it. But bring it closer to your body too!! :)
Good luck!

gillo

Post by gillo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 am

Why aren't you supporting it with your right thigh/knee (assuming you are playing right-handed)? This is the most natural and comfortable way to sit.

Pin

Post by Pin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try to cut some bigger pieces of rug gripper, shelf liner, gloves, etc. so I can wrap it all around my foot. The problem I've had to date is that although these grip the sitar, they still slip off of my foot if it's sweaty. Maybe if I can use a bigger piece that wraps all the way around, it won't move.

Regarding support of the neck with my right leg, that works ok, but interferes with playing the highest notes. Will experiment. I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvpx0Mo0h4 and it does show some support of the leg (about the 2 min mark), though I can't sit with my right leg crossed all the way over my left (yet). So maybe that's why I'm getting so much interference with the high notes. My leg just gets in the way. Will keep working on it.

mizrable

Post by mizrable » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 am

its possible you arent gettng your high notes with your knee up because your left foot is back a few inches too far esp if you have long legs. if this is the case its okay to to have the instrument further away from you
try to make a trapaziodal shape with your hips , knees, and posterior.

keep the dandi parallel to your shoulders
and the tabli perpendicular to the floor.

try to get your knees closer to the ground it will improve in time as your hamstrings loosen

desh

Post by desh » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 pm

trippymonkey wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm
Do you also rest the neck, near the neck & tabli bit, on your lifted right knee or do you lie the right leg flat down?

Nick
The method of securing the sitar mentioned by Nick is widely used by players of the Imdadkhani style of playing.

I am curious why player of other schools - particularly Maihar Gharana players - don't use their right knee to support the sitar. In my experience, using your right knee to support the sitar is much easie,provides much more stability, and allows you to hold the sitar at a much more natural angle than trying to support the sitar by wedging it between your foot and forearm.

I should add though that many outstanding sitar players e.g. Pt. Ravi Shankar, Pt. Nikhil Banerjee, Pt. Manilal Nag , Nilandri Kumar, Indrajit Banerjee to mention only a few don't rest the sitar on the right leg and still play at a level I'll never achieve in this lifetime :D !

Any thoughts?

yussef ali k

Post by yussef ali k » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi, all - hope every1's well.

Desh,

Just thoughts:

I believe 1. that any kind of hold tends to become a habit, and

2. that the Imdadkhani people could have had an extra reason in adopting that one posture because of ... surbahar reasons!

Have fun,

Y.