staghorn bridges

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

waseem

staghorn bridges

Post by waseem » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Hey all,

I have a buddy living in Washington state and where he lives on occasion he is able to procure deer horn ( the whole uncut thing). I have no idea if there is any difference between the deer from north America and the ones that are around in India and whose horn was traditionally used for bridges.

He offered to take some with him the next time he flies into europe but I was wondering about a couple of things:

- Can you get into trouble for 'exporting' a complete (deer) horn in your checked luggage into Europe
- Is that horn even useful at all to turn into sitar bridges
- Is there any difference between that horn and the ones from India

Just wondering here to see if this is worth pursuing :-)

Thanks!

ps. does anybody know what happened to the guy that runs this site sitarsencat.com, I tried emailing him a couple of times about his hippo ivory jawari, but no response.

Ingo

Re: staghorn bridges

Post by Ingo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello Waseem,

I think it is forbidden to take untreated or unprepared horn into the EU from the outside - the CITES rules are in craft since 2011, so only "hunting trophies" with a certificate are okay.

I am in Germany and got some local horn from a hunter friend. Roe deer horn is okay for little repairs, but too small for bridges; fallow deer horn was too porous, horn from the big deer had too much marrow, not enough material for substancial bridges (only heighth of camel bone, but rather soft).

Have no access to American horn, don't know about that. Last year teacher from Mumbai brought a rumour from there about hippo being okay, but he only brought the rumour, not the material;-(

I am experimenting wiht different hard wood - in search for something like ebony, but with less fundamental and more harmonics. Results not yet clear. Tried Delrin/POM, didn't like it.

Best, Ingo

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 pm

I have a few swap meet special "trophy" USA deer antlers. The tips are the only useful part - Sarod chikari posts, sitar tail posts, chikari posts. That's about it. Any part of the antler that could be sized for a bridge will be too thin with marrow underneath. No good. I'm still a delrin fan. For wood, I'm having great results with Lignum Vitae "Iron wood". Shipping antlers - with the hysteria the Green Police are shoving in our faces combined with the Munich 1933 political correctness world we now live in, I wouldn't get near an airport or anywhere goons with guns graze sporting "contraband" like antlers or any other excuse to get a full magazine emptied into your back.

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Ingo wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Last year teacher from Mumbai brought a rumour from there about hippo being okay, but he only brought the rumour, not the material;-(
There is an EU vendor online selling hippo bridges. But hippo ivory can only be shipped within the EU. I don’t know that I’d trust a source selling any ivory unless he can prove it’s coming from a zoo dentist. http://www.sitarsencat.com/prod-sitar-s ... accesories

Ingo

Post by Ingo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Tony, isn't this rather Munich 1938? Or better 1984, director's cut?

Sitarsencat sells the hippo with certificate, that should say something about the source. (Brutal joke aside: If you want to meet the local Sitar player population, go to the zoo and watch out for the girls and guys with the little hacksaws.)

Somebody here once sold fossil Mammouth bridges (from Sibiria?), looked interesting, but very expensive.

Lignum vitae looks interesting, also, will check that, thanks.

waseem

Post by waseem » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Yeah I know about that site and would love to purchase it, unfortunately I cant seem to elicit an email response from the management there :-(

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:13 am

Ingo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:50 pm
Somebody here once sold fossil Mammouth bridges (from Sibiria?), looked interesting, but very expensive.
Poke around guitar supply sites and you can probably get uncut blocks.

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:54 am

Hi, Ingo. The parallel of the guy in the White house starting the end here is to the Guy in Germany with the Charlie Chaplin moustache who started the end for Germany in 1933. In '38 he got happy in Poland. Following that timeline, 2023 should be an interesting time. Investing in gold, silver and ammunition seems like a good idea. Anyway, that lignum stuff is wonderful. I've made 3 bridge sets already with brilliant results. They get away with less mass for strength and that seems to help drive the vibes down onto the tabli with much authority. It's rather oily like furniture grade teak which in this application is beautiful. Super hard stuff that's self lubricating. How 'bout that !?!

Ingo

Post by Ingo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Looked around for the species - Lignum/Palo santo is only available as chips for medicinal/esoteric use or as complete logs ( :shock: ) directly in Hamburg harbour;-(
It is also in CITES, therefor restricted/controlled.

Sitarsencat has no telphone contact, but is maybe also reachable via Facebook/LinkedIn? I'll ask directly about the local hippo situation next time when I visit the very nice Stutgart zoo (without saw), they (not the hippos, but their service personal) know best. ((Totally aside: anybody remember "And the hippos were boilt in their tanks", early collaboration of Jack Kerouac and Bill Burroughs?))

What I have here for sound experiments is some European hardwoods, Cocobolo, Grenadillo, Purpleheart, Snakewood, Ebony, Pink Ivory and Leadwood. First result was that Pink Ivory is nice for open sound and easily worked on. Snekewood looks nice, but is too soft. Others will follow. I am looking for good, but rather dry sound. Durability is secondary, as jawari touchups are fun and always surprising anew. People on tour take Delrin anyway.

((Tony, I see some parallels to 1933-1945, but also differences. The new emperor bought the job as a hobby, plus some Nero influence. Bored rich man. And he is his own clown, no Chaplin needed. https://imgur.com/gallery/8sbMs.))