Dhrupad on sitar

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

StVitus

Dhrupad on sitar

Post by StVitus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

What’s the name of the dhrupad style played on sitar? I read about it in an article about Santosh Banerjee that I can’t find again.

Ingo

Re: Dhrupad on sitar

Post by Ingo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:37 am

Senia Rampur baj via Dabir Khan?

chrisitar

Post by chrisitar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:37 am

Im not sure it has its own name, other than the gharana of the player. I've got recordings of ZM Dagar, Bahauddin Dagar, and Pushparaj Koshti playing dhrupad style sitar. To me it's just their veena/surbahar style on sitar.
Meend over matter

Ingo

Post by Ingo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Yes, Chris, non Gharana specific (that is, steering away from that can of worms*) it is simply veena ang, slower and less ornate, no Murkis, Krintan etc.

As OP mentioned the great Santosh Banerjee I thought it was specific about that line. Read an interview with his daughter, Sahana Banerjee. In that she rightly says, Sitar is a Khyal instrument and her way of playing it is therefor using the older structure/ang and sprinkling some choice Gayaki over this. Coincidentally I don't find this interview again, like the OP. And where is the OP?

(* = Criticisms like X plays the Surbahar like a Sitar, the Sitar like a Veena, the Veena like a Telecaster, uses too many or not enough Mizrabs and/or fingers, plays Fusion in Khyal ang, too many or no or the wrong Taans, etc. pp., the whole outdated Gharana showbiz.)

StVitus

Post by StVitus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for the responses. Now I’ve got more to read about (assuming I can get the obscure journals through inter-library loans).