Cost of a good Rudra Veena in Kolkata.

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Asnya Rakras

Cost of a good Rudra Veena in Kolkata.

Post by Asnya Rakras » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm a 18yr old and I might shift to Kolkata within 6 months or so, in which case I would be hopefully learning the Rudra Veena, my favourite intsrument. Was just wondering, how much would a traditional (not Dagar-style) Veena cost? One of the shops I enquired in Kolkata said Rs. 75000, but Suvir Mishra ji says it should not cost above Rs. 20000. I'm interested in learning from Pt. Sekhar Haldar, and in any case would get in touch with him before purchasing or doing anything like that. But still, for a perspective, without getting cheated, how much would it cost?
And by the way, does someone know if beenkars such as Asit Banerjee ji and Bahauddin Dagar ji (am aware he lives in Mumbai) who play in the Dagar posture teach a student to play in the traditional posture if he asked for it?

Asnya Rakras

Re: Cost of a good Rudra Veena in Kolkata.

Post by Asnya Rakras » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Also was wondering, is it absolutely necessary that a traditional Veena would have less sustain than a Dagar one? Although I really respect the Dagars and their music very much, I seem to find the tone of Dagar Veena a bit too heavy: the 'sweetness' (if I may use the word) of the traditional Rudra Veena is missing.(By traditional I mean any Veena capable of being played in the Vajrasana posture.)

naad_brahma

Post by naad_brahma » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:59 pm

I think you first need to determine a style of playing more than a style of instrument. Find a teacher and they will guide you in the right direction. You can always have an instrument made with adaptations for a specific kind of sound. There's a saying that claims don't buy a typewriter unless you know how to type. The same can be said about veena to some degree. Make sure you determine a style of playing or find a teacher, learn if you need a QWERTY or AZERTY typewriter ;) Also if possible play a few instruments in person. The recorded sound and the acoustic sound of a veena are completely different. I believe Carsten Wicke lives in Kolkata now and he could be a very good resource for you, Suvir also lives in Kolkata.

rudraani

Post by rudraani » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Asnya Rakras wrote:I'm a 18yr old and I might shift to Kolkata within 6 months or so, in which case I would be hopefully learning the Rudra Veena, my favourite intsrument. Was just wondering, how much would a traditional (not Dagar-style) Veena cost? One of the shops I enquired in Kolkata said Rs. 75000, but Suvir Mishra ji says it should not cost above Rs. 20000. I'm interested in learning from Pt. Sekhar Haldar, and in any case would get in touch with him before purchasing or doing anything like that. But still, for a perspective, without getting cheated, how much would it cost?
And by the way, does someone know if beenkars such as Asit Banerjee ji and Bahauddin Dagar ji (am aware he lives in Mumbai) who play in the Dagar posture teach a student to play in the traditional posture if he asked for it?
I have traditional veena and I learn from a player who plays dagar-style veena. I have to figure out the hand positions myself but it comes to you naturally. Asit Banerjee ji and Bahauddin Dagar ji know how to play in traditional posture. Bahauddin Dagar ji played my veena in traditional posture.
Everything happens for a reason.

Asnya Rakras

Post by Asnya Rakras » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:04 am

I was really wondering if Pandit Asit Banerjee ji would teach me in the traditional posture if I requested him to do so?
Also would it be rude if I were to ask him for it?

bishoke sil

Post by bishoke sil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:31 am

kaustabh

Post by kaustabh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 am

Mangal Prasad Sharma charging 40K for a Dagar Style been. He is using good Teak for construction but with simple decoration. He may charge 75K for full decoration.

I am learning under Pandit Banerjee, feel free to approach him. But still I would suggest you to take the path of your guru rather that attempting to change it at the very begining.

If you need any help on the path of Been, I will always like to ...

kaustabh

Post by kaustabh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 am

I could not locate any good instrument below 40K now, I myself have to release 50K. Suvirji makes instrument for himself. But when we step into market the theory of Supply and Demand takes over.