Making of Rudra Vina DVD

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Nick B

Making of Rudra Vina DVD

Post by Nick B » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Since there has been a bit of a lull on the forum I thought I would start a thread :D

Has anyone else seen a copy of the Rudra VIna DVD offered by the Museum Collection Berlin. It is by the same guy Lars Christian Koch who wrote the book on Sitar and Surbahar manufacture that is featuring on that forum too. Anyway, he made this amazing DVD following the creation of a rudra vina at the Kanilal and Brother workshop. I found it a really fascinating film to watch with the incredible skill effortlessly on display. It makes it look soo easy, but of course it only takes 50 years of training to make it look so straight forward! It is a remarkable document and I can heartily recommend it.

I was particularly interested in the differences between a traditional over the shoulder Asad Ali Khan style (Khandabani) and the Dagar vina - with the Dagar having a bigger bore to the Dand, and sound vent (my term - sorry!) under the bridge, as well as the bigger tumbas to give the deep big sound. Apparently, the larger soundwaves generated thereby do not favour the more ornamented style of a Khandabani style vina - whose soundwaves are finer, as in smaller /tighter - apparently! No judgement was passed, just an observation on their different qualities.

I am sure there are those on the forum who are well placed to comment having played both styles of instruments....

There are also interesting interviews on the playing and history of the Kanilal & Brother workshop. Beautifully put together - thank you Mr Koch if you read this forum!

musicslug

Re: Making of Rudra Vina DVD

Post by musicslug » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I agree it's well worth watching. the part that most impressed me was Murari cutting the slots on top of the frets that hold the metal piece; it's like cutting a slot in a chopstick, lengthwise - and he does it with a simple hand saw, free-handed! the parts where he uses his feet as a 'vise' are pretty great too. Murari was truly a master.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

It is an amazing video. Like using his feet as a vise, watching Murari hammer flat and then file the teeth of his saw blade was fascinating as well.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

beenkar

Post by beenkar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:13 am

the Khandhar versus Dagar - I do not think there is 'Bani' difference. I consider that these are smaller and bigger RV-s. Why they sound different is on account of minor acoustical structural differences and the Jawari. A Dagar-Veena is simply the traditional veena that is bigger and incorporates some modification made by Bade Ustad.
रंग भरयौ मुसकात लला निकस्यौ कल कुंजन ते सुखदाई
टूटि गयो घर को सब बंधन छूटि गौ आरज- लाज- बड़ाई

cabaray

Post by cabaray » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 am

On kind of personal note, a couple of extremely fortuitous things happened while i was making my veena. One day I get a call from a friend who worked at Andys Music Chicago at the time. He said you'll never guess who's at the store, Its Lars Christian Koch. To make a long story short he invited us to attend a lecture he was giving at the musicology dept. at the university of chicago. The lecture was on, you guessed it, Kanilal and the rudra veena. After the lecture we chatted a bit and he gave us a copy of the dvd. Needless to say that dvd became my bible, If it where a book it would be dog eared and highlighted all over the place. There is just so little information on rudra veena, period, not to mention on how they are constructed. Mr. Koch gets a big thumbs up for the work he's doing.

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 am

So where the hell do we get this masterpiece then??? :?

Or will I have to steal Nick's when I get back to the UK?? :D

Nick

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:48 pm

hi Nick,

not sure if this link is still functional...

smbkatalogshop.besucherdienst.org/Merchandise/getProductDetails/productId/5631

Daniel

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 pm

That is the one!