Dhrupadi Rabab

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Asnya Rakras

Dhrupadi Rabab

Postby Asnya Rakras » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:22 pm

http://f2.failiem.lv/down.php?i=ejcdgkl&n=sddr.zip
Somjit Dasgupta Dhrupadi Rabab: Ragas Alhaiya Bilawal, Gaud Sarang, Kafi, Malkauns, Bhimpalasi.
An absolute gem, in quality and rarity. Hope you all enjoy.

CheesecakeTomek

Re: Dhrupadi Rabab

Postby CheesecakeTomek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Great collection of ragas! The performance and recording is excellent, I am really enjoying listening to these. Thank you for sharing.

Nick B

Postby Nick B » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I agree - downloaded these last night and have really enjoyed them. Am I right in thinking the rabab is the antecedent of the Sarod? I have not heard dhrupad on a rabab before, but I like it!

Asnya Rakras

Postby Asnya Rakras » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Nick B wrote:I agree - downloaded these last night and have really enjoyed them. Am I right in thinking the rabab is the antecedent of the Sarod? I have not heard dhrupad on a rabab before, but I like it!

You probably are right: that Rabab is the antecedent of the Sarod. But it still might be subject to some controversy. About what there almost is no controversy is that it is from the Rabab that another Dhrupad instrument was born- you guessed it right: Sursringar. Anyone have recordings of that?

aparha

Postby aparha » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

Asnya Rakras wrote:Sursringar. Anyone have recordings of that?

Pt. Joydeep Ghosh playing Ragas Yaman & Jog on Surshringar with Pt. Subhen Chatterjee on tabla: http://www.mediafire.com/?e6koi6hsg5wb1.

I really love these performances, especially the Yaman. I've stitched the music together from youtube videos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5nwZwYwcFk etc.], but I don't think they sound too bad.

Nick B

Postby Nick B » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 am

Wow - I love the sursringar playing, what a great pair of Ragas. I think there are parts of Raga Jog which sound like one might imagine how Mark Knopfler would sound if he played ICM :lol:

Seriously though, great recordings - thanks for posting!

Asnya Rakras

Postby Asnya Rakras » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Actually I meant Dhrupad recordings of Sursringar, preferably in the Vajrasana sitiing style.
(Perhaps I'm asking for a bit too much but I can be forgiven, no? :D )

kaustabh

Postby kaustabh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 am

As far as mu knowledge gose only Pandit Anindya Banerjee is still playing in that posture. There may be others but ...

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”