Adjustable Lower Tumba?

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

povster
Site Admin

Adjustable Lower Tumba?

Post by povster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 am

Far be it from me to redesign a rudra vin. But I am wondering if the lower tumba could be made somehow "adjustable". i.e. being able to move say an inch or so in either direction, then locking it down to a position ideal for you. Over time we also gain/lose weight and, as the body expands or gets slimmer, the fixed lower tumba can present some issues. (Now I am talking about the traditional as opposed to the Dagarbani vin . Having never played a Dagarbani vin I am not in a position to speak to it.)

I am envisioning some kind of "slot" along the lower gola in which some type of metal bar is inserted like a rail and the tumba can ride left/right on it. Then some kind of screwed down mechanism that would fully seat it in place. Since this is part of the "load bearing" mechanism of the vin, it would need to be quite sturdy.

From my own traditional vin experiences, I know the positioning of that lower tumba can be critical in achieving the ideal playing position. As the upper tumba really should fall just beneath the nut, it is up to the lower tumba for customization.

I can see the possibility of needing a wider lower gola to accommodate such an idea, and this may result in the loss of one or two of the upper frets. That is something I could certainly live with if it achieved a configuration that would follow me over time.

So I am wondering if this has crossed anyone else's mind and if anyone has some ideas based on the movable lower tumba.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

beenkar

Re: Adjustable Lower Tumba?

Post by beenkar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 pm

The exact idea crossed my mind several times. Go ahead.
रंग भरयौ मुसकात लला निकस्यौ कल कुंजन ते सुखदाई
टूटि गयो घर को सब बंधन छूटि गौ आरज- लाज- बड़ाई

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:42 am

Something else to consider would be the air channel leading into the tumba. Naturally this would have to be opened to the same length, so if you wished, say, a two inch back/forth slide, a two inch long hole would need to be cut into the bottom of the dande to a corresponding width.

Perhaps a bit of reinforcement to the interior of the dande would be needed as well to maintain structural integrity. And the excess should be effectively sealed off to properly direct the air flow.

A very well fit gola might be effective in sealing off the unneeded space. Or a padding of some kind, like moderately thick leather or similar material lining the base of the gola around the air hole could provide a sufficient seal.

Just ruminating now. But should I get another rudra vin built I would certainly want to see about incorporating this into the design.
...Michael

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:53 pm

fwiw, Scott Hackleman (studied with Murari @ KL) is 100% convinced that an air hole is unnecessary - the sound transfer is a function of physical contact. he's modded at least one vina in which he replaced the big wing nut/threaded tube with a large wooden screw/screw housing - and tells me it resulted in more volume.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:44 pm

musicslug wrote:fwiw, Scott Hackleman (studied with Murari @ KL) is 100% convinced that an air hole is unnecessary - the sound transfer is a function of physical contact. he's modded at least one vina in which he replaced the big wing nut/threaded tube with a large wooden screw/screw housing - and tells me it resulted in more volume.
Fascinating bit of info. Thanks! I am familiar with the wing nuy/threaded tube but am not sure about the "large wooden screw/screw housing". Do you mean that the screw tube (hollow) that the wing nut goes over was replaced with a solid screw of the same diameter/threading for the wing nut to go over?
...Michael

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Scott didn't go into it too much, but the image I got was of a large wooden screw on the top of the tumba, which screws into a receptacle mounted on the daand - and no airhole.

d

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 pm

musicslug wrote:Scott didn't go into it too much, but the image I got was of a large wooden screw on the top of the tumba, which screws into a receptacle mounted on the daand - and no airhole.

d
I wonder if this could be simulated by simply plugging up the airhole? At least a trial run. I have some round wooden dowels the exact shape of the air hole. It would not take much to take of a bit for a snug fit in to the screw itself. Cerrtainly worth trying.
...Michael

musicslug

Post by musicslug » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:51 pm

my understanding was that the idea is to increase the amount of contact between the daand and the tumba, so plugging the holes wouldn't change that equation.