Raga Bhimpalasi

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Surbaharplayer

Raga Bhimpalasi

Post by Surbaharplayer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 am

Next week I'll make my debut on stage playing veena. To prepare for the concert I did a tryout last weekend. Hope you will enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/ypKpVRO7yqY

DrKashyap

Re: Raga Bhimpalasi

Post by DrKashyap » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Very good ! Best wishes for the performance!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey Remco! Sounds like you are more than ready for your stage debut! Very nicely played.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

westsea

Post by westsea » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:11 am

Enjoy it?
Remco, that was awesome!
Thank you

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:28 am

Have you played the stage performance yet? How did it go??? :)
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

Surbaharplayer

Post by Surbaharplayer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi Pov,

The performance went very well!! I really enjoyed being on stage again after 15 years (though I did play at an art-gallery on my surbahar several years ago). The experience was very different from the try-out I did a week before the actual performance. That was a REALLY weird experience: I was really "in the zone" staring at my hands while they did the playing. During the performance this sunday I was a lot more aware of the surroundings and the audience.

Nevertheless: really enjoyable!!! The venue had an amazing sound and I needed almost no amplification. I used my own mic (PZM-type) just to lift the sound a little bit for the back-rows. I came across this mic several years ago when I saw Bahauddin perform; the venue used this mic to great effect. It just lifts the natural sound; my experience is the sound changes when you stick a mic in the tumba's or use stick-on mics. Also this style of mic is less obtrusive to the eye. I posted several pics on my Facebook of the concert.

But the performance itself was great because all things fell into place: first nice spring-day over here so nice weather, lovely audience, a great venue (with the people working there), the group of musicians was nice as well.

I video'd the performance, but I'll have to figure out how to combine the video to a (better) soundrecording that was made as well... no experience in that department.