old been pic

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

coyootie

old been pic

Postby coyootie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:53 pm

this is an intriguing old rudra veena. it has a flat/trough neck like a sitar and is overall quite small. I have another image from an old postcard of the same musician with a 7 string sitar.
Attachments
old veena.JPG
old been
old veena.JPG (73.05 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

povster
Site Admin

Re: old been pic

Postby povster » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

That really is intriguing. So many questions. What was it tuned to? What string gauges. Why so small (perhaps a young student's vin?) How did it sound? Never saw a vin like that. Thanks for posting it!
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

yussef ali k

Postby yussef ali k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi, all.

Coyootie,

This is a nice photo: If you're wanting to post the other, please do so.
I believe the other pic (because it's the SAME musician + sitar) could tell more about both instruments c. 1902, as it is generally acknowledged the sitar sort of followed the bin, spec-wise.

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: The 'Hindoo' binkar seems pretty much a muslim to me, so if anyone is willing to clear this as well ...
... It also seems the pic(/s) to have been sort of a gift sent by a ICM fan, probably a Spanish (Portuguese? - If so, probably w/ a colonial link to India ?) Daddy to his daughters.

Have fun.

trippy monkey

Postby trippy monkey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

That really is an intriguing 'HAS' - Been.

Nick

coyootie

Postby coyootie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 pm

here you are! this seems to have been a popular postcard, I've seen it offered for sale frequently.looks like he has a cool knobbly walkingstick on the mat in front of him.
I had a very old sitar a while back that was similar to this one. Mushtaq Ali Khan in recent times was still playing with this very archaic 17 fret arrangement.
Attachments
oldsitar.JPG
oldsitar.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

mysteryofmusic

Postby mysteryofmusic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:14 am

I'm always amazed to look at this picture of child Ravi Shankar holding that antique sitar.

498px-Ravi_Shankar_young.JPG
498px-Ravi_Shankar_young.JPG (79.27 KiB) Viewed 557 times

I see lots of similarities with afghan tanbur in the old instrument.

tanbur.jpg
tanbur.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 557 times

Hamletsghost

Postby Hamletsghost » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:44 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 536 times

Similar instrument to coyooties postcard above.
Love the Mickey Mouse ear tuning pegs on this old beauty. Looks like 18 frets.

My dearest friend Patric Marks ... very old sitar ... .... Very young Patric .... VERY much HAIR :D
Never knew him with hair.

HG 8)

Ps: just for the tie in as mentioned above ... And for those not familiar. Patric was of the Indore binkar Gharana....
PEACE THRU MUSIC
Larry Darrell LIVES!

RobertMaya

Postby RobertMaya » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Yeah, as mentioned previously, this is a picture of a sitar been, a hybrid which was popularized in Maharashtra (I think the card might say "Bombay"). Here's a video of one being restored and played, albeit without the taraf strings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-MykMkBsMs. Regarding the sitars, they used to suck acoustically and were plucked a lot more and a lot faster both in order to fill a hall and also because the gourd was very small - just listen to any old sitar player and you'll see what I mean. So that was a common sitar shape and is directly related to the tambours of Afghanistan. As you go east, the sitar will morph into the tambour, especially evident by the people who play tambour style stuff on a sitar using tambour technique.

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”