Ustad H. Sayeeduddin Dagar fussing with jora of tanpuras

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

martin spaink

Ustad H. Sayeeduddin Dagar fussing with jora of tanpuras

Post by martin spaink » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkzl6rlrro9uy ... ra%27s.mpg

Filmed in the spur of the moment, courtesy of mr. Felix van Lamsweerde, who hosted Ustad Hussain Sayeeduddin Dagar, myself and my 1963 tanpura in 2000. Mr. van Lamsweerde had these made in Miraj in 1963 as a jora of tanpura. He kept one, and sold the other to a musician, who at some point sold it to another musician as he went back to India, the second selling it to the third, in 1987, that being me. In between , the instrument was used often to accompany visting masters who performed in the Mozes and Aäronchurch, and later the Tropical Institute. Once in my hands, I continued that tradition, using this large male instrument at different pitches if need be, two different bridges and lots of strings. Or I could use smaller instruments from a circle of friends, to best suit the occasion. In november 1999 I was accompanying Sayeeduddinsaheb at a house-concert in Amsterdam, which is where I met mr. van Lamsweerde, who recognized the instrument, whereupon the sisters were to be re-united. Previously, I had restrung the other sister (Felix' ) same as my own, and touched up the bridge. Here they were united and made one in svara by Dagarsaheb. He is the most fussy sly fox when it comes to tanpuras, he often produces uncanny tunings that fit a particular rag. Later, it was decided among all parties to use the jora of prof Haji Karim Ishmailsaheb and Sons Satarmaker MIRAJ for the concert tour of Sayeeduddin Dagar in early winter 2000. He was to be accompanied by Udhav Shankarrao Shinde on pakhawaj and his two sons, Aneesuddin and Nafeesuddin. A selection of two ragas, given during the tour, were released on cd by BUDA Musique.

westsea

Re: Ustad H. Sayeeduddin Dagar fussing with jora of tanpuras

Post by westsea » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:30 am

That is an amazing video.
Thank you!

CheesecakeTomek

Post by CheesecakeTomek » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 pm

This is fascinating, thank you for sharing.

Markoz12

Post by Markoz12 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Incredible video. I really enjoyed it.

Bhairava

Post by Bhairava » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 am

Great video!

I was wondering at the end he mentioned that your ma was spining per say and his was straight, were you able to adjust your playing, if so what did you do?

I think more videos of tuning the tanpura/tambura would be great, also a detailed version of how to optimize the jivari would be super, I am to receive another instrument from miraj in the a couple weeks and I am very excited to dive in!

The beauty of the properly tuned tanpura is a special thing.

martin spaink

Post by martin spaink » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 am

the point Sayeeduddinsaheb was making is that the one tanpura had not been used for a long time, and that somewhere in the sound layers something had not quite settled in yet, so there is a minute instability. It just has to be played for some time and it will correct itself.