The Leading Dhrupad Singers

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Kirya

The Leading Dhrupad Singers

Postby Kirya » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Of late I have developed an increasing appetite for Dhrupad Vocals especially after hearing the Ustad H. Sayeeduddin DAGAR Râg Bhopali concert in France which I think is simply divine and magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSiPHLtKDY = simply magical

Can others who may know more about the form recommend other fine recordings by other Dhrupad singers -- I am aware of the Gundecha Brothers who are also wonderful but I am interested to find other singers by real rasikas of Dhrupad.

Please refer me to any great performances, recordings and artists that have captured your hearts.

Thank you.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

Sobers

Re: The Leading Dhrupad Singers

Postby Sobers » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Past days
In the Dagar gharana there were great artists like Ud. Nasiruddin Khan Dagar and before him duo
Ud. Allabande Khan and Ud. Zakiruddin Khan....... their tradition is still living.
From Senia gharana Ud. Dabir Khan (grandson of Ud. Wazir Khan) was an exponent of Rudra Veena and a vocalist both.

Present day
The two artists I'll always admire are Ud. Aminuddin Dagar in the past and Pt. Uday Bhawalkar in the present... any recordings by them are valuable and worth collecting.

You can also find many recordings of Ud. Zia Fariduddin Dagar and Pt. Ritwik Sanyal... all valuable recordings.

Mukunda Datta

Postby Mukunda Datta » Mon May 23, 2016 3:08 am

In a few ways, the compositions and performance by artists of the Darbhanga dhrupad gharana differ markedly from those of the better known Dagar tradition.

To begin with, alap in Darbhanga dhrupad proceeds in four stages rather than three, and is focused on certain phrases rather than notes.

In what Dagarbani dhrupad calls laya-bant and bol-bant, the Darbhanga style emphasizes extremely complex layakaris and tihais with great speed. This is one of the most noticeable features of Darbhanga dhrupad. Previously, musicians of the vast Mallik family dominating this tradition would sing its many compositions in four parts, often ending the performance (without further improvisation) once the composition was completed. After the late Pandit Vidur Mallik, who was known for his stunning layakari, this has changed, at least among his descendants. Because of its robust performance style, this school of dhrupad sometimes called "the fast side of dhrupad." This lively performance characteristic is shared by temple traditions of dhrupad, called “samaj gayan” or “haveli sangita.”

Pandits Ram Catur Mallik, Vidur Mallik, Abhay Narayan Mullik and Prem Kumar Mallik are notable singers of the Darbhanga gharana. Pdt. Abhay Narayan Mullick is the seniormost singer of this school, and the sons of Pdt. Vidur Mallik are also well known, especially Prem Kumar Mallik. Younger artists include Prashant and Nishant Mallik, Samit Kumar Mallik, and others.

The pakhavaj players of Darbhanga gharana also play comparatively fast. Their material is often hardly distinguishable from the repertoire of the Gaya gharana of Pakhavaj. Ram Ashish Pathak is the senior pakhavaji of Darbhanga. Anand Kumar Mallik, s/o Vidur Mallik, is trained especially in pakhavaj, but also plays tabla, and sings.

Darbhanga dhrupadiyas don't always sing dhrupad-dhamar exclusively. They sometimes also excel in khayal, thumri, Vidyapati-sangita, bhajans, and so forth. Pdt. Prem Kumar Mallik's "Prince of Love" CD demonstrates this. His daughter Priyanka is a talented khayal singer.

Finally, the sahitya of Darbhanga compositions is often notably refined from a literary point of view. In the previous generation, Pdt Vidur Mallik composed a number of Darbhanga compositions using the Braj lyrics of Swami Haridas (Tansen’s guru) and other medieval bhakti poets.

About twenty years ago, Dr. Selina Thielemann wrote a book about Darbhanga dhrupad gharana (The Darbhanga Tradition: Dhrupad oin the School of Pandit Vidur Mallik). Born in a family of Western classical musicians, she became the student of dhrupad and studied under Pdt. Vidur Mallik, as did Amelia Cuni and other Europeans.

Some web references include:

http://www.premkumarmallik.com
http://www.mallikfamily.com
http://www.darbhangagharana.com/

swarmanttra

Postby swarmanttra » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:28 am

Great...
It is very informative to newcomers.
I would like to thank you all legends who provide us the collective and valuable information.
For basic information of Dhrupad Newbees will refer below article...
http://www.swarmanttra.com/blog/dhrupad/

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”