Finding outstanding vocal dhrupad performances

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Kirya

Finding outstanding vocal dhrupad performances

Post by Kirya » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:40 pm

Of late I have developed an increasing appetite for Dhrupad Vocals especially after hearing the Ustad H. Sayeeduddin DAGAR Râg Bhopali concert in France which I think is simply divine and magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSiPHLtKDY = simply magical

Can others who may know more about the form recommend other fine recordings by other Dhrupad singers -- I am aware of the Gundecha Brothers and some recordings by the senior Dagar brothers who are also wonderful but I am interested to find other singers and especially performances that you felt were wonderful by real rasikas of Dhrupad.

Please refer me to any great performances, recordings and artists that have captured your hearts.

Thank you.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

musicslug

Re: Finding outstanding vocal dhrupad performances

Post by musicslug » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 am

I'm biased, being a vina player in the Dagarbani tradition, but a recording I have of a duet of Fariduddin (vox) and Z.M. Dagar (vina) doing Chandrakauns which is one of my favorite ICM recordings.

Daniel

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Kirya wrote:Please refer me to any great performances, recordings and artists that have captured your hearts.
As I stated before in some other thread... my favourite artists are Ud Aminuddin Dagar and Pt Uday Bhawalkar.... listen to/watch any videos of Pt Uday Bhawalkar... special recommendations of Raga Gunkali, Raga Marwa, Raga Shuddha Maru and his duets with Ud Bahauddin Dagar.

Sobers

dvb

Post by dvb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 am

Hi Kirya,

I would never claim to be a rasika or dhrupad nor know more about it than you. That said, the Sayeedudin Dagar version of Bhoopali is one of my all-time favorite Indian raga discs & one of the few raga performances I can remember nearly note for note -- it comes in a 2xCD package on Buda Records cat #3017623.

My 1st ever experience of dhrupad, recorded or otherwise, was a live concert of Uday Bhalwalkar -- absolutely transcendent, especially the 1st raga which was Hamsadhawni (sp?) -- I do not know if he has ever recorded that one but I've collected many of his other CDs but the only one that compares with that 1st concert is the Raag Bihag from Music Today (CD-A00034) -- also one of my favorite recordings in my collection.

As for other dhrupad singers, I have a cassette tape of the Mallick clan -- I do not know where it is but I will post details once I find it. The Mallicks sing a different, more ... aggressive for lack of better word .. style of dhrupad than the Dagar style, which is more meditative as you probably noticed in the Sayeedudin Bhoop performance.

I have many recordings of the Sr & Jr. Dagar Brothers but they have not moved me as much those I've listed -- which probably says more about my taste than anything.

I know you mentioned singers but I also want to include a wonderful surbahar Dhrupad disc by Pushparaj Koshti. He is a Dagar student so it will be in the same style as Sayeedudin, Bhalwalkar. ZM Dagar is the gold standard when it comes to instrumental dhrupad (rudra veena) but I prefer the surbahar & this performance over any of the discs I have of ZM Dagar (or Asad Ali Khan). But I am very partial to the surbahar -- it is my favorite raga instrument to listen to.

Hope that helps.

sosad

Post by sosad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 am

I'm biased, being a vina player in the Dagarbani tradition, but a recording I have of a duet of Fariduddin (vox) and Z.M. Dagar (vina) doing Chandrakauns which is one of my favorite ICM recordings.

http://checkersaga.com/
Last edited by sosad on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kirya

Post by Kirya » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks @dvb and @sosad for the recommendations. I will check them out.

I agree with the Bhupali suggestion though I have not heard the CD you mention -- I saw a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOPz_t_qYB8 which I found amazing of Ustad H. Sayeeduddin DAGAR singing Râg Bhopali

Also saw Uday Bhawalkar do a lecture demo at UCLA recently which really opened my eyes on Dhrupad and has triggered a much stronger interest

I also attended a workshop with the Gundecha brothers and saw a concert performance of them singing a long alap jod jhalla in Raag Saraswati which was excellent and reminded me of the best I have seen on sitar/sarod by people like Nikhil Banerjee and Ali Akbar Khan
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

Kirya

Post by Kirya » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Given the recommendations made by by @dvb here I think this might be of interest too

It is a full length concert of Uday Bhawalkar singing Hansadhwani -- unfortunately the sound is a little bit echoey but it is the full concert on video

http://www.iicdelhi.in/webcasts/view_we ... bhawalkar/
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA