Recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar playing Sitar

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

mysteryofmusic

Recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar playing Sitar

Postby mysteryofmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:13 am

Hi, I would like to hear your opinions about this recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar playing Sitar, Raga Mishra Bhairavi (1967).

The recording is very very interesting and I was wondering if he was really playing dhrupad ang on the sitar –as one of the comments remarks: The purpose is for rendering Dhrupad on the sitar, not only on Rudra Vina– or if he respected the instrument's inherent link with khyal ang and played in that style.

I'm still learning to differentiate dhrupad ang on sitar, but I'm inclined to think that it would follow Rudra Vina's very slow movements.

If possible, please elaborate on this since I'm very interested on dhrupad ang.
Thanks!

Kirya

Re: Recording of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar playing Sitar

Postby Kirya » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:50 pm

I think the closest to Dhrupad-and on sitar would be Nikhil Banerjee as he often played 40-70 minute long Alaap,jod, jhalla which is very much like what the Gundecha's of Uday Blawalkar would do for a formal raga presentation.

Some recordings of Ravi Shankar would also qualify but ther eare not so many with him playing long alaaps.

In general it is my feeling that Maihar Senia gharana musicians and many who play on Surbahar (Imrat Khan) are the closest to Dhrupad-ang.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

westsea

Postby westsea » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Shamsuddin Faridi Desai's son, Nasir Khan Faridi Desai, plays sitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhiCQRrLr6o

swarmanttra

Postby swarmanttra » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 am

Hi,
Thanks for this amazing video. I like Dhrupad very much. I think Z.M. Dagar is a musician whose 19 generations incessantly are being serving Indian Classical music. I was read article here http://www.swarmanttra.com/blog/usatd-z ... -once-had/
Hope you will also enjoy... :)

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”