Rudra Vina in South Dakota Museum

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

musicslug

Rudra Vina in South Dakota Museum

Post by musicslug » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 pm

very pretty traditional vina in the 'music museum'

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/India/5267Bin/Bin5267.html

gotta love the little half-moons on the tumbas!

naad_brahma

Re: Rudra Vina in South Dakota Museum

Post by naad_brahma » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 am

Ustad Usman Khan, the maestro this veena belonged to, can be seen here:

http://www.patric-marks.com/indore.html

It's the exact same veena. Cabaray on here probably has a larger file of that image if you contact them.

coyootie

Post by coyootie » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:50 pm

that was a very fine rudra veena, I sold it to Vermilion many years back. The gourds were shattered and all the frets had fallen off- it had been left in a closet for ages.When the owner shipped it he used no padding at all in the box the tumbas were in- I could have strangled him. ....you CANNOT use too much packing when you ship instruments!!!!
When it was reassembled it had a fantastic tone. This was a totally great example of the real, old style been with the cane dand, brass tumba brackets, and waxed frets. Refretting a been or saraswathi veena is not a job for the fainthearted, it is a lot of work.

yussef ali k

Post by yussef ali k » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi all - hope life is good.

Naad Brahma,

Thank you for the info.

If it matters (as this thread refers to a particular instrument), in the Indore Gharana chart, the sitarya wearing glasses isn't the same person as the next one to his right, w/ the article-subject bin: this latter could well be Ud. Usman Khan of Indore, elder brother to Ghulam Hussain Khan (see Silver 1976: no pix though). Faces in the images also seem to make them 2 different persons ... to me.

As I study within his family, I've seen the pic and know the former (the bespectacled one) to be (Sitar Ratna Bade) Ud. Rahimat Khan of Dharwad, sometimes referred to as being from Kolhapur (see Miner 1993:158). According to his descendants and also Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan, he was among the 1st to use Kharaj/Pancham on the sitar. He lived to 99 (185?-195?) and is 1 of the first sitarits to have recorded for HMV.
Yes, he's correctly linked to the Indore biradari, having been a Bande Ali shagird for 14 yrs., so I've been told.

Have fun, y'all,
Y.

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Not even just for that magnificent old veena, but after having spent a few minutes marveling at their collections via the website, this museum just got added to any future trips through SD, on my agenda!