OLD RUDRA VEENA FOR SALE - DAGAR STYLE

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Sitarfixer

OLD RUDRA VEENA FOR SALE - DAGAR STYLE

Postby Sitarfixer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:22 am

While living in India, Pandit Shekar Bhorkar handed this Veena over to me. Floor space and lack of use were the motivators. It is quite old but in very good condition. There is still dust on the neck and gourds - an easy clean. The decoration ring around the gourds are bits of leather cut out and glued on. Not certain about the wood type on the neck but I'm sure it is not tun. Looks and feels more like mahogany or teak. Will examine later. The gourds are enormous, true Dagar style size. - 17 1/2" diameter ! ! ! The distance between the gourds is 12". Somebody back in the 60's ( I'm guessing ) thought it would be cool to put gear tuners on. The rosewood cross pieces hold what look like Japanese ' Teisco Del Rey ' bass guitar tuners. There are no cracks in the neck or gourds. I can make modifications as needed. Revamping the peg head, nut, etc. Cleaning will be first. Here's the link. Click on the thumbnail tab for some detail pics.
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0216

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”