Logging after a long time - How has the interest in Rudra Veena changed in last 10 yrs

This is for discussions on all Indian melodic instruments

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

beenkar

Logging after a long time - How has the interest in Rudra Veena changed in last 10 yrs

Post by beenkar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Greetings,

I was off the forums for quite some time because of preoccupations. I would like to catch up and see what all has changed in the last 10 years.

Regards

Beenkar Suvir Misra
रंग भरयौ मुसकात लला निकस्यौ कल कुंजन ते सुखदाई
टूटि गयो घर को सब बंधन छूटि गौ आरज- लाज- बड़ाई

StVitus

Re: Logging after a long time - How has the interest in Rudra Veena changed in last 10 yrs

Post by StVitus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 am

The explosion of Indian music videos on YouTube seems like a big deal to me. Ten years ago most people would never have a way to know about the Rudra Veena unless they stumbled across a mention of it in a book. Now there are hundreds of videos of great beenkars. I learned about the rudra veena by watching Darbar Festival videos of Smt. Jyoti Hegde.

westsea

Re: Logging after a long time - How has the interest in Rudra Veena changed in last 10 yrs

Post by westsea » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Nice to have you back, Suvir!

I agree with StVitus. Compared to 10 years ago, many more people are aware
of the Rudra Veena and Dhrupad. Thanks to you and others, there are more
performers, offering a variety of styles and techniques. There are also some
very fine instruments being built. I have a fully carved, traditional, teak model,
built by Altab Sitarmaker, that is as good or better than any built by Murari/KanaiLal.
And, fellow beenkar, Carsten Wicke, has joined you in building instruments.

It also seems like the forum wars have become civilized. I haven't seen the kind
of trolling, personal attacks and wild accusations, like the kind that used to fill these
pages... before the moderators would yank them off. I hope that stays true.

Thanks for coming back. Your insight, knowledge, and input were always valuable.