Anant Bedekar

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

povster
Site Admin

Anant Bedekar

Post by povster » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Does anyone have any info beyond the meager info on the internet regarding vinkar Anant Bedekar? Or any sound clips beyond what it on http://www.rudravina.com?

Talk about an uber-sized vin! http://www.rudravina.com/images/img_musn3_12gd.jpg
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

rudraani

Re: Anant Bedekar

Post by rudraani » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Povster,

I found out some more information about this binkar. He played "Nat Bhairav" in a very famous festival of music (Sawai Gandharva Mahotsav) held in the city of Pune in 1972.

I have requested recordings/information to the program office. I will give them couple of days and then will call up their office.

here is a link to the website. http://sawaigandharvabhimsenmahotsav.com/programs-1972
Everything happens for a reason.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:11 am

Hi Rudranni,

That is very interesting. Please let us know if there is any response.

I also found mention of his playing Malkauns on an album. Tracking the album down is proving difficult. Perhaps someone on the forums knows about this or how to find these old HMV albums?

Catalogue # 7EPE 1568
Label: HMV
Anant Bedekar - Raga Malkauns - 1972

http://discog.piezoelektric.org/hmvindi ... refix=7EPE
...Michael

Nastika

Post by Nastika » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:49 am

Looks like a Dagar style been, being played in the traditional posture.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 am

Nastika wrote:Looks like a Dagar style been, being played in the traditional posture.
The gourds are larger and more widely spaced than traditional, but if you examine the headstock, the "big bird" where the main bridge rests, and the frets it really is a traditional veena - just a rather large one. The tone is also traditional and rather open. According the that web site, the vin was made in 1960 by Makanlal Roy in Calcutta.
...Michael

Nastika

Post by Nastika » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57 am

I see, well rather I don't; but would like to. The headstock looks like the makar/ sea-beast/dragon that I thought was more associated with Dagar-style. What is it about the headstock, frets, and 'swan' that tips you off? What is it about the sound?
Last edited by Nastika on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 am

Briefly, as regards the pictured instrument, while the headstock has a makara appearance, the size is that of the traditional and often seen lotus carving and is an "end cap" "plugged on to" the peg bearing area rather than being integrated into the whole headstock. While difficult to make out in that photo, the bird also has the form of the traditional vins.

I realized there was no sound link: here is a very brief clip (the only one I have seen/heard) of his playing. While it is on a low string you can hear the openness of the jawari.

http://www.rudravina.com/sons/extrait6.mp3

As regards your main questions about pursuing the vin, if you could make a new thread about starting up on the rudra bin,and copy the main thrust of your post there, that would be great! We need some fresh blood in the DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA forum! If you do that I can remove that part from this post and we can maintain it about Anant Bedekar. Or you can edit it yourself and paste it into a new thread. Either is fine.
...Michael

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Axel wrote:A friend of mine has the HMV record by Anant Bedekar plus another short recording by him from 1971. I will post both next week on my blog.
Axel, that is amazing! I have been trying to find anything by him for over 4 years now and all I have come up with is that 35 second clip. This is exciting news!
...Michael

rudraani

Post by rudraani » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Axel wrote:A friend of mine has the HMV record by Anant Bedekar plus another short recording by him from 1971. I will post both next week on my blog.
Hi Axel,

That's very interesting. Your friend has that record? When and where your friend bought it? Does your friend know more about the artist?

Can't wait to listen!

Thanks,

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Axel wrote:Just posted the Anant Bedekar recordings on my blog:
http://oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.com
Axel, this is quite amazing! Thanks VERY much!
...Michael

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:47 am

Cor, this is great stuff :o , really like his sound, so different from anyone else I have heard - thanks to Axel for sharing.

Is this his own unique style or does this fit in to a garana somewhere?

Love it - thanks again

Nick

cabaray

Post by cabaray » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks once again Axel. You da man when it comes to obscure rudra veena recordings! Its been such an eduction for me and I especially like the fact that two of Anant Bedekars recordings where done in his apartment flat.

rudraani

Post by rudraani » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks Axel for uploading Anant Bedekar tracks. Amazing. Dream came true. I never thought I would be able to listen to his full raag.

someone has asked about his gharana, if you read the labels that Axel has uploaded, it says KIRANA gharana in one of the labels.

GOD BLESS YOU Axel and your friend who shared these tracks with you.