Dhrupad Jhinjhoti

All matters relating to the Dhrupad, except those covered by the other boards. This also includes Seni Rabab, Sursringar or any other instrument when played in a dhrupad style.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

ragamala

Dhrupad Jhinjhoti

Postby ragamala » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:04 am

In the General Forum I've posted some musings on the nature of Jhinjhoti, but apart from a very brief Sadiq Ali Khan snippet on Rudra Veena I haven't heard any recordings of this raga in dhrupad.

Any suggestions please?

povster
Site Admin

Re: Dhrupad Jhinjhoti

Postby povster » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:59 am

Ragamala, my music is spread across 5 computers going back some years now. I did a search of my main dhrupad/vin categories and was surprised to find no Jhinjoti but I am continuing the hunt. Hopefully others may uncover some.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 am

Many thanks for trying.

I am suspecting now that the lack of dhrupad Jhijhoti is because the Dagars play the similar Kambhoji instead - there are various vocal as well as at least one rudra veena recordings of this.

ragamala

Postby ragamala » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 am

Axel wrote:The Sadiq Ali Khan Alap in Jhinjhoti I have in my collection is about 14 min. long. I also have a short Alap by Dabir Khan of about 7 min. That's all I could find.

Well mine (Sadiq Ali) is only 30 seconds, so a longer version would be interesting, especially within the context of whether a dhrupad or been version significantly alters the character of what is normally a fairly slight raga.

ragamala

ZM Dagar concert tracks

Postby ragamala » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am

2 shortish but very enjoyable Z M Dagar unpublished concert tracks posted - see the general The Jhinjhoti Mystery topic.

EDIT
Since no-one has responded regarding the identity of the "unknown" ZMD raga I'd better say it came to me labelled Kambhoji

westsea

Re: ZM Dagar concert tracks

Postby westsea » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:42 pm

ragamala wrote:2 shortish but very enjoyable Z M Dagar unpublished concert tracks posted - see the general The Jhinjhoti Mystery topic.

EDIT
Since no-one has responded regarding the identity of the "unknown" ZMD raga I'd better say it came to me labelled Kambhoji

Yes, definitely Kambhoji. I haven't compared, but I think this is from:
Dhrupad - a film by Mani Kaul.
Z M Dagar identifes it as Kambhoji and discusses it.

westsea

Postby westsea » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Not the film version, but definitely the same.

anupjalan1

Re: ZM Dagar concert tracks

Postby anupjalan1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 am

ragamala wrote:2 shortish but very enjoyable Z M Dagar unpublished concert tracks posted - see the general The Jhinjhoti Mystery topic.

EDIT

I had earlier posted this in the general Jhinjhoti Mystery topic also:

You are right - this is Raga Kambhoji on Rudra Veena by Ustad Z M Dagar.

I have never heard anyone from the Dagar parampara perform Jhinjhoti in public, possibly because they prefer the very similar Kambhoji. However, I know that they do perform this Raga.

I had learned a Dhamar in Jhinjhoti from Sh. Manoj Saraf a few years back, and the Alap + Dhrupad from Pt. Uday Bhawalkar very recently. Both Manoj-ji & Uday-ji have learned from Ustads Z M Dagar & Z F Dagar.

I am aware of two recordings of Dhamars that are available on CDs, both from Agra Gharana artists:

1. Ustads Vilayat Hussain Khan & Younus Hussain Khan (http://www.parrikar.org/music/khamaj/vhk_jhinjhoti.mp3) - CD "All India Radio Archival Release - Vilayat Hussain Khan vol 6".

2. Pandits SCR Bhatt & KG Ginde (http://biopter.com/sarangi/2010-novembe ... dhamar.mp3) - CD "Dhamar" released by Meera Audio

anupjalan1

Postby anupjalan1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Raga Jhinjhoti on Veena by Bala Chander - a disciple of Ut Z M Dagar & Z F Dagar

http://www.sadharani.com/audio-n-video/

uparija

Postby uparija » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Axel wrote:I uploaded two Rudra Veena Jhinjhotis:
1. Ustad Muhammad Dabir Khan - Jhinjhoti
2. Ustad Sadiq Ali Khan (father of Asad Ali Khan) - Jhinjhoti
http://www.multiupload.com/T51Z5MYSOD
Enjoy!

Sorry sir,

I love to have these tracks but I am affraid to down load multyupload programm ,please guide me as I am not good in computer.
I will appreciate it.
regards.
Jparikh

uparija

Postby uparija » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Axel wrote:Unfortunately this file has been deleted when FBI closed down Megaupload/Multiupload . Sorry.
Maybe I will do in the future a post with several old Rudra Veena tracks by some old masters on my blog: http://oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.de/
But I have no idea when I will find the time to do this.

Axel,
That will be really great .Cannot wait to listen old maters !!
Thank you again.
Uparija

Mukunda Datta

Postby Mukunda Datta » Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 am

A dhrupad performance of Raga Jhinjhoti by the late Pdt. Ram Catur Mallik od Darbhanga Gharana is available at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZ_lwbjJfU

Return to “DHRUPAD & RUDRA VINA”