sitar newb

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

OM GUY

Re: sitar newb

Post by OM GUY » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 am

ragamala wrote:
trippy monkey wrote:ric
Where are you in the UK? I'll be back from India on the 4th april.

Nick
Lancashire lock up your daughters :wink:
... ain't that the livin' truth!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

ric

Post by ric » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:50 pm

trippy monkey wrote:We'll make contact when I get back if you like.

N
OK thanks :)

ric

Post by ric » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

My sitar strings have arrived :) but I am not going to fit them until I have a couple of fine-tuning beads. The manufacturer is obviously following a definite numbering system for the strings here.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/ ... trings.jpg

I guess you make the loop for each string yourself?

The chikariis and tarafs were also included.

Ric

chrisnovice

Post by chrisnovice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Just be very careful when you open up that coil of taraf string! It immediately explodes into a tangle of wire that can take hours to untangle. :evil: I sometimes tie a couple of loops of wool round the coil to keep it all in place while I cut off the lengths I need. I think we've all been there.

chrisnovice

Post by chrisnovice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Oh, and make sure you put all the pegs back in the same place they came from, they probably won't fit properly otherwise. Especially the taraf pegs which should also have the holes in different places to line up with where the strings enter the neck.

And yes, you will need to tie all the loops yourself - nobody said it was gonna be easy did they?

If you are needing some tuning beads urgently you can get them from JAS Musicals which has a couple of stores in London I believe.

ric

Post by ric » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:43 am

chrisnovice wrote:Just be very careful when you open up that coil of taraf string! It immediately explodes into a tangle of wire that can take hours to untangle. :evil: I sometimes tie a couple of loops of wool round the coil to keep it all in place while I cut off the lengths I need. I think we've all been there.
Wow, thanks for the warning!

Yes I was going to go up Covent Garden for suitable tuners but will investigate that store. Can't wait to finally have all the correct strings in the right positions and tuned properly, this sitar has never been tuned properly and I have had it for about seven years at least :-o

I'm only replacing the broken taraf, there is little point in changing all the others just for the sake of it, so I'll have some sitar string in reserve :)

Best regards,

Ric

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:25 am

chrisnovice wrote:Just be very careful when you open up that coil of taraf string! It immediately explodes into a tangle of wire that can take hours to untangle. :evil: I sometimes tie a couple of loops of wool round the coil to keep it all in place while I cut off the lengths I need. I think we've all been there.
Before you even try extracting the the tarafs (sympathetic strings), get a few twist ties (not sure what you call them in England - those strips of metal wire coated with plastic to tie around plastic bags etc) - and twist them around the coil of string in a couple of strategic locations.

This will seal the coil. It will take a little longer to slide the strings out but a lot less time than uncoiling an exploding coil.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

ric

Post by ric » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:57 am

That is good advice indeed & thank you! I just call them ties, I know what you mean. Can't wait to get the sitar properly set up - I have never played it like that before, I think all the main strings were set at F# and C# without G# at all, so it is going to be a completely new experience!

:)

junior

Post by junior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 am

Thanks for all the great sitar tuning tips! I've been struggling with these kinds of questions myself so this really helps!

Also worth mentioning is that as a blues guitar player i've always preferred thicker gauge strings and so I will definitely want to try to increase the gauge from .09 to 0.10 on the sitar gauges.

Thanks again!

JB