Please Share your experience to inspire novice

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

rachitvishvas

Please Share your experience to inspire novice

Post by rachitvishvas » Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 am

Hello to all,
I am new to music and start learning playing harmonium. It is about 3 weeks and I am practicing 1-2 hours daily. Unfortunately, It is not possible for me to have any teacher due to some personal reason so I have downloaded some online harmonium lessons and following them.
Many questions are there in my mind. I want you to all share your personal experience in learning any musical instrument so that I and others can get inspiration.This may include
How much time does it take for you to identify basic swars(notes)?
What approach have you followed?
What is the importance of Raagas and thaat when sound recognization is main key in learning any instrument?
Thanks in advance to all of you.

OM GUY

Re: Please Share your experience to inspire novice

Post by OM GUY » Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 am

rachitvishvas wrote:"Hello to all,
I am new to music and start learning playing harmonium. It is about 3 weeks and I am practicing 1-2 hours daily. Unfortunately, It is not possible for me to have any teacher due to some personal reason so I have downloaded some online harmonium lessons and following them. "

Well, 'hello' to you, as well. And congratulations for taking up an instrument. I can't comment on the harmonium, since I'm in favour of lashing them all together and forming this giant raft. It's only because I hear it mis-played so much at our local Hinfu Temple. :lol: I've managed to hide and or disguise most of the drums, and the microphones have been known to suddenly disappear, as well. I'm trying to convince myself that it's all in "the spirit that counts", yet my ears don't want to buy it. But since you can not find a teacher, I suggest you dig very deep into the internet and buy whatever material that you can to help you. You may want to look up "Radhey Sharma". He may have videos, not sure. I buy everything I can get my hands on, hoping even if one thing sinks in, I'm ahead of the game, that much more.

" Many questions are there in my mind. I want you to all share your personal experience in learning any musical instrument so that I and others can get inspiration.This may include
How much time does it take for you to identify basic swars(notes)?

Being able to identify the notes is an individual thing, and that's where practice comes in. I've made charts, charts, charts and more charts... hung them up everywhere, as well as where I play. From India to Indiana, the same holds true, practice, practice, practice.

What approach have you followed?

Tried to find teacher, but went on the internet, as I've said, and bought what I could. My teacher helped a lot. Found a few folks who could help, and bought every DVD from Lar's that Indrajit Banerjee puts out. I wish folks would invest in those, as they are jewels, but not for harmoniums!

What is the importance of Raagas and thaat when sound recognization is main key in learning any instrument? Could you please elaborate on your meaning, more? I'm not sure what you are asking here.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Thanks for the question... hopefully the other brains will come and help out. Really, don't mind my distain for the harmonium, but if you play it in my Temple... be warned that I carry lighter fluid and we have tons of matches!! :lol:

Naw, just kidding!
:D
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

rachitvishvas

Re: Please Share your experience to inspire novice

Post by rachitvishvas » Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 am

Thanks for replying back. I understand the importance of teacher. You are right that Practice is the only key. Well, fine and thanks again