Ali Akbar Khan-help

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

maurice

Ali Akbar Khan-help

Post by maurice » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 am

As a relative newcomer to Indian classical music,would someone be able to tell me what would be the ideal cd for Khan.
Many thanks.
That which colours the mind

Kirya

Re: Ali Akbar Khan-help

Post by Kirya » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 pm

I would recommend that you take a listen to the many samples available on Youtube to find some that you like.

I generally find his older stuff more appealing but he has many great recordings across the years

Some I like

Kafi with Zakir Hussein
Manj Khamaj with Nikhil Banerjee
Sindhi Bhairavi, Palas Kafi with Ravi Shankar
Chandrakauns from 1960

I also like "Journey"
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

maurice

Post by maurice » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Many thanks for your help.I've listened to alot on You Tube but was unsure about which cd's to purchase.

Bhuvanesh

Post by Bhuvanesh » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 am

I'm not sure about CDs, but he's generally done a good job with ragas such as Bageshree Kanada, Bairagi, Chandranandan, Darbari, Shree, Ahir Bhairav and Nat Bhairav.

maurice

Post by maurice » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for your help,folks.

Jeredhunter1

Post by Jeredhunter1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a good cd by khansahib entitled Garden of Dreams. You can check on Ali Akbar Khan's website for a complete list. His family runs a music school in San Rafael, California and they are currently putting together a library of his and his father's recordings that should be online in early 2013. Go to AACM.org for more info. You can find his discography there as well.

Jered

alex444

Post by alex444 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am

Hi,
I would like suggest that you listen many indian music of Ali Akbar Khan on his own site. that is beneficial for you .
The second option is that you purchase his cd.
alex444

weirdforest

Post by weirdforest » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I found it a little intimidating to know where to start when I started collecting AAK (& others) discography. Generally, I prefer vinyl and have enjoyed every Connoisseurs Society LP that I've managed to get my hands on (Shree, Bangladesh, 80 min Raga) & especially, the duet with Nikhil Banerjee! These records are available on CD from Khansaheb's own label, AMMP, under the Signature Series Vol 1-5 which you can find easily on Amazon or eBay. The Banerjee duet is Vol 4 & is highly recommended as it's especially beautiful and accessible due to its "poppy" sounding scales & melodies.

AMMP also released 6 - 7 live concerts, available only on cassette I think. These are also available from a San Fran distributor called Midheaven/Revolver, who are very reputable & easily found on Google. The A-side (Darbari Kanara alap & jor + Madan Manjari slow/med tintal) from Live In Berkeley (AMMP/CS80-2) is probably my 2nd favorite AAK recording thus far behind the Banerjee duet.

I'm no expert on AAK or ICM in general & there's a nice post on a different blog that asserts that AAK did all his best stuff on 3 min 78 RPM records, before he got famous worldwide & before the recordings I mention above. I don't have an informed opinion on this but you can find a compilation of 78 RPM recordings on "The Unparalleled Ustad Ali Akbar Khan" CD released on Saregama.

If anyone has any further recommendations, especially on vinyl suggestions, please inform me! His large discography & limited finances mean I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out which albums to target next.

RichardH

Post by RichardH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm

AAK's music is all good, but some commercial releases are better than others.

Here are some I'd recommend:

The 78's- all different, very dense and intense. Not exactly 'easy listening' .
The Puriya Kalyan and Ahir Bhairav are my favourites.

There is an old LP reprint of several 45's- Nat Bhairo, Jaijaiwanti, Malkosh, several others- very good, very rare.

Odeon/HMV:

I'd skip the Hindol-hem/Multani LP, the rest- at least one side of each is great.

Durga/Khammaj... Zilla-Kafi...Des Malhar... Pahari Jhinjhoti...Ahir Bhairav/Durgeshwari...all great.

Connoisseur society:

Chandranandan/Gauri Manjari- tops. Avoid ''The Flowers of Evil"

Other labels:

The double album duet with Ravi Shankar- a classic. Also the Sri rag/Sindhi Bhairavi duet.

The 9 AIR CDs- Puria Kalyan is good, the rest hit or miss.

The AMMP cassettes: one of Jhinjhoti/Durgeshwari with a blue cover is best of the bunch. Avoid 'Jewels of Maihar'.

Later CDs... all-digital recording became the norm about the time AAK turned 70... just sayin'.

weirdforest

Post by weirdforest » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

RichardH wrote:AAK's music is all good, but some commercial releases are better than others.

The double album duet with Ravi Shankar- a classic. Also the Sri rag/Sindhi Bhairavi duet.
Would love to get others opinion on this double LP w/ Ravi Shankar (the Apple Records w/ Alla Rakha)... I have a hard time getting into it as half the album is taken up by Manj Khammaj & whenever I listen to it, it just makes me want to put on the AAK/Banerjee version instead. I don't know if this is just because the version w/ Banerjee is more accessible to my western ears & would love to hear others' opinions on the 2 versions.

Thanks for the suggestions on the HMV/Odeon stuff!