Help Regarding Rabab

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Navid

Help Regarding Rabab

Post by Navid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello All
i am a complete beginner to music and interested to learn rabab(Afghan). my question might sound stupid but i want to give it a try.
Different raags are the combination of different swars in which some are sharp and some are flat(komal). on the harmonium they can be identified and i have seen videos on you tube about it, but there is no video where i can identify the komal swar on rabab. i know the normal sargam SA RE GA are on the first string, MA PA DA are on the second string and NI is on the last and third string. what i dont know is that where are the komal sa re ga ma pa da ni are? if you can identify this for me

David Russell Watson

Re: Help Regarding Rabab

Post by David Russell Watson » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:25 am

Navid wrote:i know the normal sargam SA RE GA are on the first string, MA PA DA are on the second string and NI is on the last and third string. what i dont know is that where are the komal sa re ga ma pa da ni are? if you can identify this for me
It is somewhat of a strange question, unless your rabab has frets and the frets for the svar in question are missing. Does your rabab have any frets on it?

In any case, the finger positions and/or positions for the missing frets are like this:

Komal Re is between Sa and Re on the same string
Komal Ga is between Re and Ga on the same string
Komal Ma is between Ga and Ma on the same string
Komal Dha is between Pa and Dha on the same string
Komal Ni is between Dha and Ni on the same string
Sa and Pa don't take sharp or flat forms.

David