Can I play tabla?

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Zach

Can I play tabla?

Post by Zach » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi :)
Recently I've become entranced by the nature of Indian music, and have fell in love with the sound of the tabla. Something about the tones and resonance and type of percussive flows it evokes really speaks to me. It seems something I could be very passionate about.

However, I came here to ask if it is practical for me to learn or even attempt to play the tabla. I was born missing my left hand, but still have a lot of love for percussion and just have an innate feel for rhythmic flow and variation. I can make interesting use of my left arm by it's unusual weight and length to create taps with the tip, shaft and elbow of my left arm that's missing a hand. I realize that each note of a tabla corresponds to a spoken syllable, and I am aware I probably could not incorporate all syllables if I were to try to learn tabla, but is that a setback that should stop me from trying? What do you people think?
If you're interested, I'd like the email a sound clip of me tapping on a table which demonstrates the kind of percussive feel I have, and a recent YouTube channel I created of me playing drum set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDR-wDI ... ata_player I'd like to try hand percussion and maybe move away from drum set, since I feel I could accomplish much more with hand percussion.

OM GUY

Re: Can I play tabla?

Post by OM GUY » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Zach....

By all means, you should give it a try! If your desire and love for things percussion are as strong as you say they are, why not give in to them and give it a whirl?

Find a teacher in your area, or PM one who plays here (use the tabla section of this forum too) and ask questions. Perhaps you can skype with someone and find out the nitty-gritty.

Hey, good luck! :D
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

pbercker

Re: Can I play tabla?

Post by pbercker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

After seeing your video there is not even a single doubt in my mind that you could - and indeed should! - give tabla a try. Clearly you have a sense of rhythm, and your missing left hand I suspect will not be much of an impediment since it's still clearly functional and my suspicion is that you may be able to do things on the bayan (the left hand drum) that others might not be able to with their hands!

As someone else already noted, it is absolutely essential to get a *reputable* teacher, even for just a few months in the beginning as the right hand technique is not easily mastered by one's self. Once you have mastered the basic right hand strokes (which is are by far and away the most important ones for playing tabla) you can practice on your own seeing your teacher only once a month or even every other month since it can be an expensive proposition. If you can't find a local teacher, you may wish to try to locate one online since a number or tabla teachers these days offer tabla lessons on line (typically on skype). Indeed I believe that David Courtney does so (he is also the host for this forum as you may already know).

The best of luck to you!

Pascal

p.s. if you promise to seriously take up the tabla I will SEND YOU A USED PAIR FOR FREE (I have several) on condition that you keep me posted on your progress .... that's how seriously I am convinced that you should take it up!!
P.S.S. Also, you might want to consider posting this again on the main TABLA forum as your question is quite pertinent to that forum and I suspect that you will get even more encouragement from the veterans on that board.
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.