new to the site, just got a veena

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

nhveena

new to the site, just got a veena

Post by nhveena » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:51 am

:roll: I'm new to this forum. I just bought a beat up saraswati veena that appears to be 50-60 years old. I'm in the process of reconditioning it now. I got it for $100 in an antique mall here in New Hampshire. Not the sort of thing I would expect to see up here. I am making a new secondary reverberator from a large squash I got on eBay that is pretty symmetrical. I have strings ordered and will have it up and running in a couple of weeks. This was complete serendipity, and once I did some research online I realized it is the instrument whose sound I've always enjoyed. So, here I am!

OM GUY

Re: new to the site, just got a veena

Post by OM GUY » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 am

nhveena wrote::roll: I'm new to this forum. I just bought a beat up saraswati veena that appears to be 50-60 years old. I'm in the process of reconditioning it now. I got it for $100 in an antique mall here in New Hampshire. Not the sort of thing I would expect to see up here. I am making a new secondary reverberator from a large squash I got on eBay that is pretty symmetrical. I have strings ordered and will have it up and running in a couple of weeks. This was complete serendipity, and once I did some research online I realized it is the instrument whose sound I've always enjoyed. So, here I am!
Welcome to the forum! :D Hope you have a great time here with plenty of longevity! Please, don't hesitate to show off your new find with us!
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

nhveena

Post by nhveena » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:20 am

I'll post pics when it's done. I'm so excited.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:06 am

nhveena wrote:I'll post pics when it's done. I'm so excited.
I'll bet you are! Nothing like the expectancy of a new baby!! :lol:
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

nhveena

Post by nhveena » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Indeed. Sometimes things drop in my lap and I drawn to them. I've always had a thing for odd and exotic musical instruments, but this one caught my eye in a way that other things haven't. Same thing happened with Tibetan singing bowls. I now have a collection of 75 and I do a meditation session at my church monthly. Drums also. I have a few of those, mostly African.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Speaking about the veena, who are you taking lessons from, or how did you learn to play?

nhveena

Post by nhveena » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 pm

There isn't anyone up here to take lessons from so I'm going to teach myself. I don't play yet. I've got a book of lessons I just bought, and there are a number of good videos on YouTube. I'll have to work with that for now.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 am

nhveena wrote:There isn't anyone up here to take lessons from so I'm going to teach myself. I don't play yet. I've got a book of lessons I just bought, and there are a number of good videos on YouTube. I'll have to work with that for now.
:idea: Just a thought, you may want to inquire about skype lessons. :idea:

nhveena

Post by nhveena » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm

That's a possibility. I found someone in the Boston area that I might do a few lessons with. She also directed me to a DVD set that she felt was good.