Advice on naming an ICM-related Android app?

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

gjain

Advice on naming an ICM-related Android app?

Postby gjain » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi,

I literally have no background in Indian classical music, but I thought making an Android app that serves as an 'electronic' tabla, tanpura and shruti box would be an interesting challenge.

My partner and I have finished majority of the development and we were thinking of a name for the app. We're looking for something that sounds 'unique' enough to be remembered, but also doesn't use specific words that relate to any one instrument. I.e. wouldn't want to use the words - tabla, tanpura, shruti box, taal, etc. in the name because all of those have to do with a single instrument, and our app provides more than that.

After some discussion with friends/family we started settling on the name Pocket Raga. Raga means 'melody' and we thought that served as a good balance between the instruments. But recently, we've also received some feedback saying that 'raga' is used in a different context in ICM.

Would anyone be able to provide their opinion on that and/or think of an alternate name?

Thanks in advanced!

TCPerez

Re: Advice on naming an ICM-related Android app?

Postby TCPerez » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 am

Raga generally refers to the melody, whereas the tabla provides the rhythm and the tambura the drone, but "Pocket Raga" isn't a bad name as its catchy I'm not really sure what else I'd call it :roll:
Maybe something based off swara, which means musical note? That's not so applicable to tabla though...

Also, not sure if you're aware, but there's already several ipod apps out there with a similar purpose, not sure about android though...

No offense, but I can't imagine the app turning out all that well if you don't have someone with a knowledge of Indian music that your working with

Good luck :)

gjain

Postby gjain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding the app, I've used iTabla Pro and it's audio quality is quite remarkable. However, that app is only available on Apple devices (iPhone, iPod, etc.).

There are almost no apps on Android that are of similar quality and that is what we're trying to develop.

Bhuvanesh

Postby Bhuvanesh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:37 am

gjain wrote:After some discussion with friends/family we started settling on the name Pocket Raga. Raga means 'melody' and we thought that served as a good balance between the instruments. But recently, we've also received some feedback saying that 'raga' is used in a different context in ICM.

Would anyone be able to provide their opinion on that and/or think of an alternate name?

Thanks in advanced!

Pocket Raga, at least to me, would imply that the software is capable of producing/playing a raga, which it can't -- not yet, anyway, maybe in the future with some hidden Markov model training :)

I suggest something with the word 'riyaaz', although 'riyaaz studio' and 'riyaaz master' are already taken.

gjain

Postby gjain » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 am

Bhuvanesh wrote:I suggest something with the word 'riyaaz', although 'riyaaz studio' and 'riyaaz master' are already taken.

We considered 'riyaaz'. We decided to ask 4-5 young students (teenagers) who had been practicing classical music for at least a few years, if they knew what riyaaz meant. For all but one of them, that didn't ring a bell. On the contrary, they were able to associate 'raga' and 'sangeet' with Indian (classical) music.

Kirya

Postby Kirya » Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 am

Pocket Riyaaz
Pocket Taleem
Sangeet Aid
Sangeet. Assistant
Raga Roy

If you use one of these do I get free copy?
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

Bhairava

Postby Bhairava » Thu May 30, 2013 4:02 am

Tabla Rasa
Pure Tabla Pro
Tanpura-Tabla Player

Fil

Postby Fil » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 am

How about Ragawalla?

ahirbhairav

Postby ahirbhairav » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 am

gjain wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding the app, I've used iTabla Pro and it's audio quality is quite remarkable. However, that app is only available on Apple devices (iPhone, iPod, etc.).

There are almost no apps on Android that are of similar quality and that is what we're trying to develop.

I also use iTablaPro and it really is quite amazing. A little expensive, but it's worth it.

-a.
Next concert: Aditya Sharma (today)
Sandipan Samajpati (9/28)
Shubhendra Rao (10/19)
Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)

Return to “ICM NEWBIES”