Javari troubleshooting

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Rabbit

Javari troubleshooting

Postby Rabbit » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello, I am having trouble getting the most out of an instrument I just made. It is a tenor guitar with a harp-guitar like neck holding 12 sympathetic strings. I would post a picture but I am not quite sure how. Anyways, the scale length for the longest sympathetic string is 26'' and 20'' for the shortest. The strings have different gauges (probably one of my problems). They are .012 .010 and .009 I figured this would be a nice way to get more range out of such a small area, I was trying to keep the scale lengths long. I made it last week and have been redoing the bridge every now and then. I am to the point now where I can get all of them to ring except the three longest strings (.012). But I had them working before... Do I just need to take off some more material and give them a flatter surface because they are longer/heavier?

I know this may be a is a really complicated thing to answer with text. It is made out of maple by the way, which I am not a huge fan of because it is hard to see the silver string wear, but it doesn't have an open pore structure which I figured would be better than some of the tropical hardwood scraps I have laying around.

I hope you can help me out. Thanks!

musicslug

Re: Javari troubleshooting

Postby musicslug » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:43 pm

from your description I can't tell how the sympathetics are attached, but if you're able to raise the height of the problem strings at the 'harp' end, it might open up their javari and give you more 'buzz'.

Sitarfixer

Re: Javari troubleshooting

Postby Sitarfixer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm

First thing I'd do is swap out those .012 strings for .010. You could also rough up the bridge surface with 220 grit sandpaper. The dull surface will be a lot easier to read. The strings will make their own glazed surface which will tell you everything that's going on with that bridge. Sounds like a fun project.

Return to “ICM NEWBIES”