i want to learn bengali vaisnav raga kirtan

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

jai sri radhe

i want to learn bengali vaisnav raga kirtan

Post by jai sri radhe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a devotee of Krishna and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, for years I have wanted to learn raga kirtan.

I sing at home but am not musically trained at all.

Im a FEMALE British born Indian who lives in the south of India and would be prepared to go to Vrindavan or west Bengal etc to learn but would like some leads/addresses as I will be going there alone so safety as a woman and a warm atmosphere is important to me.

Thanking you all kindly :)

Christianamr

Re: i want to learn bengali vaisnav raga kirtan

Post by Christianamr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:30 pm

I have never been to India but I am aware that there was a Harmonium and Khol teacher named " Master Pankaj Somadder " in Mayapur .
Here is his book dedicated fully to mahamantras in different ragas :

http://www.radha.name/sites/default/fil ... lesson.pdf

I don´t know if he is still active , because the website he used to have has become inactive ...

Speaking of Vrindavan , I know that some Gaudiya devotees have gone to learn raga kirtans from other sampradayas , like the Vallabha-Sampradaya ( Pushti-marg ) and Nimbarka-sampradaya and maybe others . There are very strong in maintaining the raga tradition and carefully use the appropriate ragas according to the time of the day and even the seasons ...
Their tradition is also heavily intertwined with Dhrupad , which can be quite complex .

This website gives a glimpse of the very elaborate " raga-schedule " that the Vallabhites follow to this day :

http://www.vallabhkankroli.org/kirtan%2 ... pter_5.htm
सहस्रनाम ततुलयम राम नाम वरानने |
Sahasranāma tat tulyam Rāma nāma Varānane .