question regarding practice

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

lapsteel

question regarding practice

Post by lapsteel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

I play the lap steel guitar. I play old raag based hindi songs etc. I practice the usual sargam and different excersises daily. I have noticed the following: if i do not practice for 2 or 3 days then i am able to play better. Am i over straining, or has anyone felt the same. If i miss practice for a week then it gets worse.
i practice scale etc daily for an hour.
Thank you.

OM GUY

Re: question regarding practice

Post by OM GUY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:23 am

lapsteel wrote:I play the lap steel guitar. I play old raag based hindi songs etc. I practice the usual sargam and different excersises daily. I have noticed the following: if i do not practice for 2 or 3 days then i am able to play better. Am i over straining, or has anyone felt the same. If i miss practice for a week then it gets worse.
Thank you.
Every one who plays an instrument, or anything for that matter, is different.

Personally, I like to practice at least once a day, however sometimes I'm simply way too tired, so I skip a day once in awhile. I too notice the ability to play better, so I don't think you are alone.

Then too, there are those days when I'm fumble-fingered, the instrument sounds horrible, the mizrab doesn't fit right and I second guess myself. It's just human nature.

I can't see myself missing a week though. Not only is my timeing off, my callous starts to go away.You'll find a few here who travel extensively, so they take travel sitars with them.

Hang in there!!
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

pbercker

Re: question regarding practice

Post by pbercker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 pm

lapsteel wrote:I play the lap steel guitar. I play old raag based hindi songs etc. I practice the usual sargam and different excersises daily. I have noticed the following: if i do not practice for 2 or 3 days then i am able to play better. Am i over straining, or has anyone felt the same. If i miss practice for a week then it gets worse.
Thank you.
There's an interesting discussion and a variety of suggestions in regards to practice in this sitar forum post...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10237

Pascal
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.