Introduction and Question

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

mister_hatter

Introduction and Question

Post by mister_hatter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:13 am

Hello, My name is Timi and I am new to this forum, but I have been playing sitar for just over a year (I own a cheap Bhargava & Co sitar). I'm from East Tennessee (and where I am, I'm THE ONLY sitar player in my area, so I have no teachers or anything) But anyhoo, my question is about the quality of the electric surbahars that I keep seeing on places like Ebay. Are they at all worth it? I don't have $1000+ to throw down for a genuine acoustic surbahar, and some of these are like half that. btw, sorry if this is in the wrong section, It seemed like the most logical place at the time.

trippy monkey

Re: Introduction and Question

Post by trippy monkey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi & welcome to these forums...
NO I was told by a friend in Delhi when I called him & asked about electric surbahars. He's says they're not good at the moment. That is the smaller travel type. A 'real' surbahar with a mic connection is another story.

Nick

mister_hatter

Post by mister_hatter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 pm

ok, I saw them and was tempted, but I think I'll pass on those. Thank you for the advice! Also, does Bhargava & Co make surbahars? (I know it's probably the cheapest brand out there, but I LOVE mine, which almost certainly shows my inexperience) :oops:

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Not too sure if B & Sons have made any good surbahars.
Chance of any pics of your sitar, please??

Nick

mister_hatter

Post by mister_hatter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:27 pm

sure! It'll be tomorrow (my camera's not with me) but yea, and Bhargava does make a surbahar, but I couldn't find a price on it. I'll definitely upgrade from Bhargava eventually, but for now, I'm happy with it!

Sitarfixer

Post by Sitarfixer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 am

Hey there, Hatter. East Tennessee, eh ? If you ever get to Charlotte, NC, I could go over your sitar and show you a bunch of stuff. PM me here on the forum if you'd like to get more info.

mister_hatter

Post by mister_hatter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 am

Charlotte huh? I'm actually moving out there this summer, so yea definitely! :D As for the picture of my sitar...I'm kinda having issues posting pics on here. :oops: