Sitar virtual tuner

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

YoungPanditNS3

Sitar virtual tuner

Postby YoungPanditNS3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 pm

I found this online tuner, and was wondering if it is a good, and generally accurate tuner for a beginner practicing scales and such,
the url is below,
regards :)

http://www.thomasvoigt.de/en/sitar.html

OM GUY

Re: Sitar virtual tuner

Postby OM GUY » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm

There are better things to use, besides lugging a computer around.

My suggestion would be:

1). Get an app for your phone.

2). Get a Raagini machine.

3). Get a Peterson-type tuner.

4.) Learn to use your ears.

In addition, one will eventually come to the conclusion after this question = "Just how serious am I about playing the sitar?", in order to make several INVESTMENTS in the above list.

If you want to play anywhere outside of the place where you are living, all four might be worth having, but that's up to you.
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

YoungPanditNS3

Postby YoungPanditNS3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 pm

well, at some point I will pick up some of those devices, but as a beginner, using an online tuner until I can tune with the tampura or by ear
would be somthing I would do,
I just wanted to find out what the notes are of the stings are, and how to tune them,

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Absolutely nothing the matter with using a computer based system. I have Riyaz Studio installed on two small netbooks: one for travel and one connected to my tv/stereo system for permanent use in my home. I prefer it over any I have used, including Raagini type electronic boxes (one still has to lug those) and soundwise I prefer it over the Iphone/Ipad app.

The way I figure it, if you have to lug an instrument and its kit around, a netbook is small potatoes to add to it.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

OM GUY

Postby OM GUY » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 am

YoungPanditNS3 wrote:well, at some point I will pick up some of those devices, but as a beginner, using an online tuner until I can tune with the tampura or by ear
would be somthing I would do,
I just wanted to find out what the notes are of the stings are, and how to tune them,

If you want to see what the notes are, go to "Rain City Music" and look up "Sitar Information"... toggle down the page and you will see the tunings.
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

Return to “ICM NEWBIES”