Tabla and tanpura software

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Kirya

Re: Tabla and tanpura software

Post by Kirya » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I use these tabla/tanpura programs to practice with and basically provide tabla support when I play sitar.

I have found that often a simple program like Taalpulse is preferable to the much fancier ones where the tabla bols get so involved and complicated that it is hard to tell the khaali anymore, and thus you have to count all the time which I prefer not to do.

Any tabla support tool should always have a very simple theka mode at all speeds, so that less experienced players can track the taal cycle more easily.

I think these tools need to be as configurable as possible so that individual players of varying capability can make adjustments to suit their very specific needs e.g. show the bols, show the beat, produce a clearly emphasized sam beat which none do, etc.. A program that let you turn this off and on would be great.

Also I prefer tabla programs that also provide tanpura and let you adjust the relative volumes of tabla vs tanpura.

It would be good for the developers of these programs to study the different needs of players of different levels and make a tool that can cover the needs of many different levels.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 am

Kirya wrote: Any tabla support tool should always have a very simple theka mode at all speeds, so that less experienced players can track the taal cycle more easily.

I think these tools need to be as configurable as possible so that individual players of varying capability can make adjustments to suit their very specific needs e.g. show the bols, show the beat, produce a clearly emphasized sam beat which none do, etc.. A program that let you turn this off and on would be great.

Also I prefer tabla programs that also provide tanpura and let you adjust the relative volumes of tabla vs tanpura.
These are things i really like about Riyaz Studio. The Tabla/Pakhwaj volume is separate from the Tanpura volume and the Drone volume. You can turn each of these off or on and adjust each volume separately.

As far as the tekha, it has a +/- sign you can click on to increase or decrease the complexity from the most basic to a more complex tekha. It also has a visual readout of each beat - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc. you can turn on or off.

Overall a very versatile program with nice live sampling of tanpura (many forms), tabla and pakhawaj.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Saath Sangeet is also good, although Monirji has only used auto-tuning for the tabla instead of retuning for each scale. NOT GOOD.
Next concert: Aditya Sharma (today)
Sandipan Samajpati (9/28)
Shubhendra Rao (10/19)
Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)

Kirya

Post by Kirya » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Here is another solution that is free and pretty good -- only tabla though no tanpura
This app can be used online as a tabla theka machine.
http://www.tablalab.com/?page_id=22
It is actually a practice tool for tabla players but I thought others might find it useful for its theka loop capability (use the top topic in the list.)
The online version is full and free.
Hope you find it useful.
Let me know if I can improve anything next time round.
Thanks
Marc
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA

Kirya

Post by Kirya » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 pm

I noticed that SaathSangeet has reduced their price to $39 to match Riyazstudio and I see that they are getting many good reviews from tabla players but I still see that it lacks some key user features that I need as a sitar player who wants to practice with a tabla.

But great to have this option --

I also found another product called TaalMala which is not as good in sound quality but allows the user to modify the tabla patterns to some extent and also add emphasis through a editor environment. So You can make the sam and khaali beats much louder to develop better instincts for them while improvising on the sitar. But I found it very limited in slower tempos as the bols do not adjust to fill the white space there.
Kirya
Los Angeles, CA