Tabla and tanpura software

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Fil

Tabla and tanpura software

Post by Fil » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 am

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but new stuff often comes up, so I hope everybody will forgive me asking.

I've finally taken the plunge into playing Indian music, instead of just listening and have a decent enough sitar to get going. I'm actually a semi-retired pro muso, playing mostly Irish traditional music on fiddle and uilleann pipes, and have experience with instrument manufacture, so I'm no noob when it comes to music per se, just with Hindustani classical music.

So, I want to try out software for tabla and tanpura. I'm not looking for free stuff, as I'm happy to pay, provided it's worth the money. I have tried one on trial and it promptly loaded a whole lot of unwanted rubbish on my computer and reset all my search engines, which was annoying to say the least. :(

Any and all suggestions and advice welcome. :D

Cheers.

pbercker

Re: Tabla and tanpura software

Post by pbercker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 am

Fil wrote:I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but new stuff often comes up, so I hope everybody will forgive me asking.

I've finally taken the plunge into playing Indian music, instead of just listening and have a decent enough sitar to get going. I'm actually a semi-retired pro muso, playing mostly Irish traditional music on fiddle and uilleann pipes, and have experience with instrument manufacture, so I'm no noob when it comes to music per se, just with Hindustani classical music.

So, I want to try out software for tabla and tanpura. I'm not looking for free stuff, as I'm happy to pay, provided it's worth the money. I have tried one on trial and it promptly loaded a whole lot of unwanted rubbish on my computer and reset all my search engines, which was annoying to say the least. :(

Any and all suggestions and advice welcome. :D

Cheers.

Somewhat on the expensive side is swarshala 3.0

http://www.swarsystems.com/

I've had swarshala 2.0 for many years and works quite well for my modest purposes.

Pascal
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for that, it was new to me. I'm reading about what it does now.

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm

If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) iTabla Pro is excellent and full featured. I've used it for some time.

If you are looking for desktop software, RiyazStudio is very well spoken of.

cabernethy

Post by cabernethy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm

nicneufeld wrote:RiyazStudio is very well spoken of.

I have tried most if not all the PC based s/w (lots of android to) and for me RiyazStudio is the best. I Have the semi-classical version and it is now part of my regime.

The Tanpura for me is the closest anyone has got to a real one (or I should say recording of a real one)....probably good samples.

Try out the free demo from their website. The support is very good as well.

http://www.riyazstudio.com/download.html

and no I don't work for them :lol: , just believe in the product :)
Hope this helps,
Carl

s1owpoke

Post by s1owpoke » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Check this video out for some really good free software. I use the tanpura almost every sarangi session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obv_6GYlIVM
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:12 am

Thanks people. It' good to read what others have tried and liked. I haven't got an iPhone or android either, so it's PC based for me atm. Riyaz looks good, I may well go with that. But I'll look into the other recommendations too.

Cheers.

cwroyds

Post by cwroyds » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:42 am

I use iTablaPro for iphone and I love it.

Until you find a good software, I posted some teental tabla beats in C# & D on another thread that might be useful to you.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11474&p=70076&hilit ... n+d#p70076

The first track is just Tanpura and then the other four tracks include tabla at increasing speeds.

cabernethy

Post by cabernethy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 pm

cwroyds wrote:The first track is just Tanpura
Be sure to try these out - superb recordings of the reeeal thing :)

Fil

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 am

cwroyds wrote:I use iTablaPro for iphone and I love it.

Until you find a good software, I posted some teental tabla beats in C# & D on another thread that might be useful to you.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11474&p=70076&hilit ... n+d#p70076

The first track is just Tanpura and then the other four tracks include tabla at increasing speeds.
Ooh, thanks! My sitar is in C# and I practice violin in D, so both good to have. :D

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 am

cabernethy wrote:
nicneufeld wrote:RiyazStudio is very well spoken of.

I have tried most if not all the PC based s/w (lots of android to) and for me RiyazStudio is the best. I Have the semi-classical version and it is now part of my regime.

The Tanpura for me is the closest anyone has got to a real one (or I should say recording of a real one)....probably good samples.

Try out the free demo from their website. The support is very good as well.

http://www.riyazstudio.com/download.html

and no I don't work for them :lol: , just believe in the product :)
Hope this helps,
Carl
I feel the same. I've used Riyaz Studio a few years now and love it. I was especially taken with the amount of customization and the chautal and damaar using sampled pakhawaj. Very useful for vin practice. There have been several free upgrades, each bringing something new and welcome.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

Fil

Post by Fil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am

OK, I've gone for Riyaz Studio standard version. Thanks for the input people, much appreciated. :D

yaniv oud

Post by yaniv oud » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 am

i wanted to add that while taalpulse is not as sophisticated as the programs mentioned here it is free and nice for playing.
http://taalpulse.net/

Sitarismylife

Post by Sitarismylife » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

saathsangeet

Post by saathsangeet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Please check out www.saathsangeet.com, newly released software Saath Sangeet.

Regards,
Monir Hossain, Developer
www.monirhossain.net
www.saathsangeet.com