rubber coated mizrabs

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

alex

rubber coated mizrabs

Post by alex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

first of all I'd like to say thank you for all the useful infos I found on this forum.

I'm new to sitar, been practicing for about 3 months. I'm using rubber coated mizrab, but I' ve read that I should move to full metal one as soon as possible. I tried those too and I found them quite comfortable, having few sizes to choose from, didn't have problem with that. However I must say that I like the rubber one much better. The sound that it produces is more soft, quiet, sounds almost like a lullaby. The metal mizrab /at least on my finger/ produced very sharp, loud, metallic sound, especially when playing bols on chikari strings.

Now my question: is the rubber mizrab really just for beginners and shouldn't be used at all by experienced player?

Thanx

Alex

OM GUY

Re: rubber coated mizrabs

Post by OM GUY » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Alex, if it feels good, do it.

I'm sure that the Mizrab Police are not patrolling in your sector. :)
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

alex

Post by alex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:54 pm

The reason I asked is because, I read Ravi Shankars :" My Music, My Life" yesterday, where he says that the plastic coated mizrab should be used only for the first week or two of practice. " The uncoated mizrab should be worn as soon as the student has gotten accustomised to the pressure." But yes, there is no "mizrab police" around and I guess Ravi wouldn't mind me not following his advice. I don't have a teacher, I learn only from books, internet and Raincity dvd-s. That's why I dont want to pick up some "bad habits", which I know I 'll pick up anyway. Well, the rubber mizrab is not the major one, I guess.

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm

I have one of these that is indeed quite comfortable. Usually I use whatever mizrab I have on hand that is remotely properly fitting!!

I did use it once during a lesson with my teacher and he mentioned something about needing to get me a proper mizrab, so for traditional teachers, a lot of them may think you're better off with the traditional mizrab...but I don't really see a huge disadvantage for a self-taught player to use them. I would say that a properly fitting wire mizrab shouldn't be at all uncomfortable...may just need a correctly sized one or to adjust it a bit.

Rereading your post it sounds like the issue is sound. That most likely has a lot more to do with the size/construction of the wire as well as the shape and angle of the points, in my opinion. I've noticed, jumping around from mizrab to mizrab, a distinct change in tone. For now I'd say play with the one you like best, although you can also shop around for different mizrabs. There's nothing intrinsic to the rubber coating that really affects the sound so its probably more the wire/shape. Definitely a preference thing! Cheers...

alex

Post by alex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanx man, this was the information I was after. It was there in front of my eyes, but I couldn't see it. The rubber part of mizrab has nothing to do with the sound. I checked my favorite one /the rubber one/and I see it's smaller and wire seems to be more soft and rounded, it has already taken shape of my finger. I might even take the rubber part off, just to make old teachers happy. Thanx for taking time to respond even such a banal question as mine. Take care
Alex

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:10 am

I carry some types of rubber mizrab only they're thick wire, very popular and I use one myself. Or you can try wire wrapped, etc. the thin wire on the type you're using will produce a softer tone.

Lars
http://www.raincitymusic.com

nicneufeld

Post by nicneufeld » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 am

I got my rubber coated one from Lars. If you have any experience playing guitar the parallel to guitar pick thickness I think is apt...the light, delicate sound of a thin pick vs the more authoritative thicker pick. I'm not sure what I prefer really in mizrabs, but part of it depends on your playing style...the open-hand, sweeping style of Imdadkhani gharana, vs other styles using kharaj pancham. I think the lighter sound of the thinner wire goes well when you are sweeping across a quartet of chikari. Similar to how acoustic rhythm guitarists often go for the thinner pick, it gives a softer more even sound across all the strings. Just making a somewhat stretched parallel here, mostly on conjecture. YMMV.