playing multiple strings

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

briguy13

playing multiple strings

Postby briguy13 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:40 am

I have a bad habit of playing more than the first string, why does this happen? I'm trying to play only the first string. I'm pretty sure that my mizrab is a good fit. It's definitely not to long. Could my posture be off, or maybe I'm using wrong hand positioning? HELP!

OM GUY

Re: playing multiple strings

Postby OM GUY » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 am

briguy13 wrote:I have a bad habit of playing more than the first string, why does this happen? I'm trying to play only the first string. I'm pretty sure that my mizrab is a good fit. It's definitely not to long. Could my posture be off, or maybe I'm using wrong hand positioning? HELP!

Could be a whole host of things, that we can't see, and that makes the question and answer, complicated. Can you post a close up video maybe?

Are you a beginner? Have you had a teacher? How long have you been playing?

How far apart are the strings, #1 and #2? Are there 2 slots for each of these first two strings cut into the bridge?

Where does your thumb rest on the sitar? On the murri, on the last fret, or ?

Are you using proper hand technique on your playing hand, i.e., the " baby wave"?

Maybe your mizrab feels fine, but is it striking the second string with the top of the mizrab and not the "point"? Is the tip of the mizrab more than a 1/4" from the tip of your finger? Have you ever tried several other mizrabs?

I think when I first started out, I had the same issue. For me, it was a matter of changing the mizrab and style, concentration on the proper positioning of my playing hand and nailing down the baby wave. The second biggest problem was mis-striking the strings while executing the chikari strokes and going back to the #1 baj. ( Another bit of advice came from the Indrajit Banerjee DVD's that moves the point of the mizrab slightly left of center.)

Once you get it figured out and practice it for a bit, you can iron it out and commit it to muscle-memory. It simply takes a bit of time and effort and lots of slow, steady practice.
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

briguy13

Postby briguy13 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Well, I have a lot of questions to answer. first of all, I am a beginner, I never had a teacher. I have been practicing for about 10 months. Just practicing scales for now.
My number one and number two strings are 1/2 inch a part. The strings are running through slots cut into the main bridge. My thumb rests just below the last fret.
Since I do not have a teacher i have never been Taught the. "baby wave". I have been learning from a DVD. My mizrab strikes the First string with the point but carries on to the second strings. Mizrab doesn't extend more then 1/4", it's
a hair under.

OM GUY

Postby OM GUY » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am

[quote="briguy13"]Well, I have a lot of questions to answer. first of all, I am a beginner, I never had a teacher. I have been practicing for about 10 months. Just practicing scales for now.
My number one and number two strings are 1/2 inch a part. The strings are running through slots cut into the main bridge. My thumb rests just below the last fret.
Since I do not have a teacher i have never been Taught the. "baby wave". I have been learning from a DVD. My mizrab strikes the First string with the point but carries on to the second strings. Mizrab doesn't extend more then 1/4", it's
a hair under.[/quote

PM Sent to you..
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

nicneufeld

Postby nicneufeld » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 am

Are you hitting the extra string[s] on both strokes? At least how I've been taught, getting a bit of the jor/sa string (second) on the ra stroke is normal/desired. The ra stroke is the downstroke, or opening motion of the hand. The da stroke, or closing motion of the hand in an upwards direction, should sound cleanly of the first string only.

Every teacher may be a bit different, and there are a number of schools of sitar playing, so all this is caveat emptor.

briguy13

Postby briguy13 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:52 pm

I am hitting second string.mostely on ra but sometimes both ra and da.

cwroyds

Postby cwroyds » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 am

Well you are in good company because many sitarists hit the second string with the Ma as part of their style.
Vilayat Khan and Nikhil Banerjee both do it, as do most other sitarists now that I think of it.
In fact, the only sitarist I can think of that consistently only hits the Ma string is Pandit Ravi Shankar and his students.
It is part of his style that he does a sort of rest stroke where the mizrab strikes through the Ma and touches the Sa but does not strike through or let it ring.

I personally study the Maihar style, in the particular style of Nikhil Banerjee, so I let the Sa ring along with the Ma.
I like that sound better, and you can really dig in.
As you get better you will learn to control it so it can be subtle or loud.
Control comes with time and practice.
For now don't worry about it too much as it is OK.

briguy13

Postby briguy13 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks a lot! That is really good advice . I will continue practicing for now, then im not worrying about for now. Thanks again!

cwroyds

Postby cwroyds » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:27 pm

I would add that if you don't have a teacher you should probably get some sort of learning tool like a DVD so that you can see the proper technique.
Otherwise you will practice incorrectly for months and get really solid at incorrect technique.
The sitar is all about technique.
Unlearning technique is much harder than learning it.
Get a beginner DVD from RainCitymusic.com and see how it is done correctly.

briguy13

Postby briguy13 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 am

You're correct, muscle memory kicks in and that's a hard habit to break.
I have been learning from a DVD from rain city music. Lars has offered to teach me through Skype. I just have to get set up and connected.
He's a cool Guy who can probably send me in the right direction

povster
Site Admin

Postby povster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 am

Whether other sitarists include the joditar (2nd string) into the playing should be a matter of preference. I have heard Nikhil Banerjee, Vilayat Khan and many other accomplished musicians play extremely clean bajtar (main string) as well as incorporating the joditar. It is a matter of choice. A deliberate thing.

But being new to the instrument,or even a few years in, you cannot accept the masters as absolutes. First you have to master your control: hit the joditar when you want. Make a clean bajtar when you want. Do it for a purpose. Not just because masters do it. And based on your teacher's teachings.

It is all part of laying down a foundation of accuracy, intent and control. And it does take a long time. :)
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

Return to “ICM NEWBIES”