Recommendations for buying tablas?

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

SWriverstone

Recommendations for buying tablas?

Post by SWriverstone » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi everyone---I'm a newbie here, but been an Indian music "lurker" for years. I'm a professionally-trained (American) percussionist (Juilliard degree)...and I've been fascinated by Indian rhythm and tablas my whole life. Alas, I've never until now (at age 50!) had the time to really start practicing and learning them.

I could probably ask a hundred questions of the knowledgeable people here. But for starters, let me say first that I completely understand owning tablas is not even remotely necessary to learn Indian rhythmic theory. And I have spent some enjoyable time just learning to sing some of the basic rhythms (with clapping and waving---though I don't claim to know what I'm doing).

However, I'm also a gearhead, a drummer, and an American---all of which mean I'm impatient. :lol: So I want to buy some tablas now. (But I promise to continue learning to sing and clap/wave the rhythms, since I do believe if you can't sing it, you can't play it!)

My question for folks here is about what would be a good "starter" tabla to buy? I know absolutely nothing about them.

A quick glance at eBay shows piles of tablas for sale anywhere from $99 for a pair of drums to $300-400 and more. But of course, they all look identical in the photos. LOL

While I'm certainly not looking for top-of-the-line drums...I would like to spend enough to buy reasonably long-lasting drums. I'd like to think I will practice on them daily (or at least several times a week).

Any recommendations are much appreciated!

Once I figure out what drums to buy, then I can start figuring out what books/tapes/videos are best to learn from---because I don't think there are any good teachers anywhere near where I live in West Virginia (though possibly in Pittsburgh?)

Thanks very much!
Scott
Morgantown, WV

s1owpoke

Re: Recommendations for buying tablas?

Post by s1owpoke » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:31 pm

The Ali Akbar College store is closing and has many discounts on their items. I purchased a set from them about 7 years back and just received a nice tabla case on discount with no problems with both transactions.

http://www.aacmstore.org/index.php?main ... Path=73_98

Perhaps some others on here can give a suggestion from Makers from overseas. I have been out of the loop a bit with tabla since playing sarangi.

Good luck
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan