what is this instrument?

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Gyurme

what is this instrument?

Post by Gyurme » Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm

As this section of the forum seems to get more views than the Bansuri section, I hope it isn't too cheeky of me to ask a question relating to a woodwind instrument here. 8)
Could anyone tell me the exact name of this instrument in the youtube clip please?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12948

thanks

trippy monkey

Re: what is this instrument?

Post by trippy monkey » Wed May 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Judging by the quality of sound it has a large bamboo REED in it rather than an ordinary end of a bansuri.
I've seen these in India & you CAN get quite low with them.

Nick

Gyurme

Post by Gyurme » Wed May 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Do you mean to say it is a bansuri wth a different type of reed, not a typical bansuri mouthpiece?
Any idea of what this lovely sounding hybrid is called? Lol, it is very deep and rich sounding for it's size. Did you see or hear any on your trips over to the big V?

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Wed May 21, 2014 10:13 pm

I certainly did. Relatively common out there.
As you say, a lovely rich & deep tone from such a small instrument although the throwing around of the head, whilst playing, is NOT necessary!?!?!? :lol:

Nick

Gyurme

Post by Gyurme » Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 pm

trippy monkey wrote:I certainly did......although the throwing around of the head, whilst playing, is NOT necessary!?!?!? :lol:

Nick

lol, it worked for Elvis, did he play a bit of bansuri? :lol:

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Wed May 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Will be getting some more stuff sent over in the next week or so from Varanasi, I'll ask my friend to put a selection of them in the boxes.

OM GUY

Post by OM GUY » Thu May 22, 2014 1:05 am

:shock: You mean to tell me that the Indian folks do not twirl and toss their flutes in the air and catch them behind their backs like Ian Anderson??? :o
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!

Gyurme

Post by Gyurme » Thu May 22, 2014 8:24 am

Om Guy- depends on how hot their vindaloo was! :lol:

Another member responded to this question in the Bansuri section and said it was a duduk. It does seem to resemble a duduk but i always associated the duduk with Armenian music, closer in sound to the western clarinet but mellower. Would anyone know if this is actually a duduk which has found it's way into ICM with perhaps some local modifications, or is it a totally different instrument more like the bansuri?
The instrument the guy is playing sounds slightly more ' open, lighter,haunting transparent' (for lack of better words) than the duduk which is a beautiful sounding instrument in it's own right.

Any thoughts on this? :?:
Last edited by Gyurme on Thu May 22, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Thu May 22, 2014 9:08 am

OM GUY wrote: :shock: You mean to tell me that the Indian folks do not twirl and toss their flutes in the air and catch them behind their backs like Ian Anderson??? :o
You know as well as I do Indians tend to have much more respect for music than that!!! :wink: :lol:

Gyurme

Post by Gyurme » Thu May 22, 2014 1:25 pm

naad_brahma replied in the other thread that it is a duduk, and he does seem to be correct. I did a search on duduk and found a clip showing the same guy I was asking about in the George Harrison concert clip playing a duduk, at 40 sec into the clip. lovely sound.

here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viQSBpOjqM

Trippy, you said you might be having some sent back from India... would you know if they call them duduk over there or what? Would you say it's the same instrument as the Armenian duduk, perhaps with modification or not as the case may be?

trippy monkey

Post by trippy monkey » Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm

I'll try & get some. It so surprising how low these things go. It DOES look the same thing.

Nick