playing in dadra as opposed to ek taal

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

chriscook50

playing in dadra as opposed to ek taal

Post by chriscook50 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 am

Hi there
I'm a sitar player, I've posted a few times before and I just thought I'd ask a quick question that's been on my mind for a while.
Is it OK to for ghats or bandishes written in 6 beat dadra to be played in 12 beat ek taal as long as one ends up back at the khali? For that matter can the same be applied to playing teental ghats over keherwa, or Rupak and Deepcchandi?
Any advice much appreciated:)
best wishes
Chris

Jeff Whittier

Re: playing in dadra as opposed to ek taal

Post by Jeff Whittier » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Dadra has a completely different pulse than ektal. It's 3/4 or 6/8. Ektal is 6 groups of 2's with khali's in a quite different place. Many bandishes have the tal embedded in them, especially the good ones. I'm not making pronouncements about right & wrong, but swapping one tal for another simply based on a numerical relationship of the beats is probably not a good idea, as you might lose the internal logic of the bandish.

That being said, one of the tasks which examiners ask post-graduate music students to accomplish for their master's degree in music is often something like, "What's your favorite bandish in Jai Jai Wanti (or some other rag)? OK, that's in tintal. Now put it into deepchandi. You can work on it for a couple of hours, then come back and perform it for us."

chriscook50

Re: playing in dadra as opposed to ek taal

Post by chriscook50 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks for your helpful reply Jeff. You've reminded me that, as a student, I should keep things relatively simple so that it is obvious what tala I'm playing within (and what raga for that matter).

As I develop my improvisatory skills perhaps within my chakaradas , teehais or kaidas I can 'dip into' another tala temporarily, immitating a tabla phrase on the sitar.