Surbahars for Maihar and Imdadkhani styles

This is for general discussions of Indian music and dance.

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

Jason

Surbahars for Maihar and Imdadkhani styles

Post by Jason » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey Everybody!

Ready for my newbie question?

Are there different surbahars for Maihar and Imdadkhani styles, such as with RS & VK sitars? Or is it just a matter of post-market set up (jawari, strings, tumba, etc.) for each?

Humble thanks,
Jason

povster
Site Admin

Re: Surbahars for Maihar and Imdadkhani styles

Post by povster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 am

Hey Jason!

As far as surbahars go, there is no Ghandar Pancham/Kharaj Pancham concept. They are strung similarly as far as the main playing strings go (4 main strings). Differences can be in things like how the sympathetic strings are handled (terminating at a hole on the table like the Kanai Lal Bros surbs or like a sitar terminating at a post on the bottom, the number of sympathetics (like sitars), the overall size and how the main strings are guided towards the headstock from the nut.

Unlike sitars which generally conform to a basic size (although tumba/tabli is variable), surbahars can be very different with differing string lengths and neck widths.
...Michael
Dasani - the official bottled water of ICM
Panini - the official bread of ICM

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Povster!

I hope you are doing well!

Thank you for the reply. So they are completely interchangeable?

Best,
Jason

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey again Jason!

Right. Your main consideration (aside from sound action build) is going to be getting a surbahar that fits you well. Check the balance. I've seen some that balance beautifully on the little "kickstand" they usually have. Others have had the stand at the wrong angle causing the surb to be too low to properly balance. Also check the overall weight distribution. Some of the less expensive ones are rather top heavy, again contributing to an off balance feel.

Also check the neck width and corresponding string placement. Try pulling a mir from the bass string and see how that reach is. I have relatively small hands and on some surbs the reach is near my limit. Others, like the Hemen I used to have and the Hirens I've seen, have very usable reaches.

Even a well made and good sounding surbahar that is ill-fitting will be discouraging. So fit/quality should be your primary considerations.
...Michael

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey Povster,

I thought you had a Hiren Roy surb - was it a Hemen? How do (did) you like it (them)?

Do you still play the surbahar ever now that you are a beenkar?

Thanks,
Jason

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Yes, it was a Hemen. It needed a bit of fine tuning but once it was there it was beautiful.

I sold it a few years back after I got the rudra vin. But now I am rethinking getting another when I can get the funds. May look into some of the miraj makers. Problem is the vin is wreaking havoc with my right arm - like a tendonitis thing - from the height of the arm on the lower tumba and the arm seems to be resting near some nerves.

So if I can find a surb I can afford I'll alternate between the two instruments.

Do I glean you are considering getting a surbahar?
...Michael

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes, I must confess I'm such a dilettante!

I just took about a two-year detour from ICM to study Baroque music on the viola da gamba. Now I am back to playing my sarod and sursringar. I even brought out my sitar and broke a few strings just for good measure :oops: !

I guess I should just admit to myself that I love the music and collecting the instruments!

povster
Site Admin

Post by povster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Jason wrote:Yes, I must confess I'm such a dilettante!

I just took about a two-year detour from ICM to study Baroque music on the viola da gamba. Now I am back to playing my sarod and sursringar. I even brought out my sitar and broke a few strings just for good measure :oops: !

I guess I should just admit to myself that I love the music and collecting the instruments!
Cool! I love Baroque music.

It is a requirement to break a few strings when returning to an instrument! Keep us posted on your surbahar quest!
...Michael