Bhala Kisi Ka

This board is just for newbies to place their questions, and for the old timers to answer their questions with patience. Remember, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

Moderators: povster, s1owpoke, cabernethy, coughcapkittykat

pooh

Bhala Kisi Ka

Post by pooh » Sun May 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Hello everybody!
Here is a small example how europeans hear and perform Indian music.
Is it close or far away from the original? Thanks for attention.

David Russell Watson

Re: Bhala Kisi Ka

Post by David Russell Watson » Mon May 11, 2015 5:47 am

pooh wrote:Hello everybody!
Hi :·)
pooh wrote:Here is a small example how europeans hear and perform Indian music.
I have to correct you. That's not how all Europeans hear and perform Indian music, but only how Julia Kotova and her musicians do :·)
pooh wrote:Is it close or far away from the original?
Well of course it's heavily Westernized, and I'd tend to consider it a piece of modern Western pop music built on the base of an Indian song rather than Indian music per se.

Although, the one version of the song I found on Youtube performed by an Indian isn't what I'd call Sangit either. Whatever its original provenance, the version I found belongs to the modern kitschy style of Indian pop that can hardly be offended by bastardization ¦·D

David

pooh

Post by pooh » Mon May 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback )
Your words are really useful

s1owpoke

Post by s1owpoke » Thu May 28, 2015 3:00 pm

pooh wrote: Here is a small example how europeans hear and perform Indian music.
Is it close or far away from the original? Thanks for attention.

I would have to say that is the way the band presented the music which can be based on so many different levels that one can only guess unless verified by them. Maybe they are not skilled in rendering it in a more eastern format, perhaps they wanted to create a western version etc.... Only they can answer this. As far as Europeans, Americans, Asians, Aliens or whatever the case may be, it is not wise to make generalized statements as you have. There are many people around the globe rendering Indian Classical Music, Semi-Classical and many other forms with special attention to shrutis, mend, gamak etc.. that have not lived in India or the surrounding countries. I also know many Indians who have learned music of a more western style in which I am helping them with music of their heritage and not mine. The world is getting smaller through the use of technology and besides music is a universal language. You just need an open ear and mind :wink:

This video was nothing more than Pop Music but I listened to some other renditions online and it sounded the same so whatever that is worth. I say whatever floats your boat :lol:
S1owpoke

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

trippymonkey

Post by trippymonkey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:54 pm

It IS a type of Hindi Pop Song & wouldn't look out of place in a modern Hindi movie. !!!!

Bhairava

Post by Bhairava » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:59 am

Great music!

Thanks for posting ) sounds really good.

Indian classical music is very deep and rooted in the spiritual practice of nada yoga, if you wish to deepen your knowledge I would study with the gundecha brothers via skype and sit with them on thier next tour to your area, its a very cool pratice )

http://dhrupad.org/dhrupad-institute/distance-learning/